Why haven't recent comedians become famous actors?

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Jamie Foxx, Martin Lawrence, Kevin Hart(?). It wasn't that long ago where being a comedian made you a shoe in for movie roles. Most even became movie stars with leading roles. I know that most comedians today use social media and make their own content. But it just seems like Kevin Hart was the last comedian to really grind and become a movie star. Dc Young fly, Desi Banks, Druski all have a huge following. The one reason I can think of is the 80s and 90s actors had more range. Chris Rock in New Jack city. Martin Lawrence in bad boys. (He was funny but he showed he could do action as well).

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:yeshrug: Different times comedies aren’t even big in theaters anymore. They’re on streaming services now.

Last edited:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What Black comedies have the studios made in the last few years? It’s not a genre they see as profitable anymore.

And they tried elevating non-Black YouTubers in the 2010s and it didn’t work out for them

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
What Black comedies have the studios made in the last few years? It’s not a genre they see as profitable anymore.

And they tried elevating non-Black YouTubers in the 2010s and it didn’t work out for them
I think the blackening in 2022

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota

Yea but you shouldn't even need a black comedy to show case your skills. Rush hour wasn't a black comedy. Chris tucker found a way to shine throughout. Mike epps in resident evil. Or you can look at black comedians that shined in other genres. Chris Rock- Pookie. Jamie Foxx- Any given sunday, Ray, Malcom X. Although Jamie is in a league of his own as an actor. Bad boys was an action comedy movie where Martin showed his range.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Different times comedies aren’t even big in theaters anymore. They’re on streaming services now.
This is what I meant and also that they’ve got a bigger hurdle being Black in Hollywood.

Those days of Apatow, Seth Rogan, or Vince Vaughan movies doing numbers are gone.

Yea but you shouldn't even need a black comedy to show case your skills. Rush hour wasn't a black comedy. Chris tucker found a way to shine throughout. Mike epps in resident evil. Or you can look at black comedians that shined in other genres. Chris Rock- Pookie. Jamie Foxx- Any given sunday, Ray, Malcom X. Although Jamie is in a league of his own as an actor. Bad boys was an action comedy movie where Martin showed his range.
Those guys didn’t come from YouTube/social media. I don’t think Hollywood sees online success as a gateway to film/television.

They’ve given a few online personalities chances over the years and I don’t think it’s ever worked out well for them.