Why have South Asians been so insignificant in America?

Apex

Banned
Daps
Everything is so black and white whether you look at entertainment, politics, etc.

What has kept them from the limelight, and why are they only now beginning to make strides?

Monte Cristo

Banned
Daps
They don't seek the spotlight

They mind their own business
They go to school
They work
They date and marry their own
They pass their wealth on to their kid
Wash, rinse, repeat

They're not interested in being apart of the western media

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
South Asians have always had bollywood for entertainment, they never really needed hollywood. They have their own mega-stars, to the point where some of them (mostly women) have been offered roles over here and have turned them down. Things are changing with the younger generation and you are starting to see more South Asians in popular media so who knows what will happen down the line.

As for other areas, two governors, even though they are c00ns, are south Asian. The CEO of Microsoft is an Indian, the creator the USB is an Indian, an Indian owns the Sacramento Kings, they are all over the corporate world and in silicon valley...they may be low-key but they aren't insignificant.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Is "South Asian" someone from India or someone from Vietnam/Malasia/Indonesia etc?

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
I can't speak in general but I live in some city near L.A. In my area they own the liquor stores, gas stations and other small businesses. Their kids usually do well in school and get into the tech sector or medicine. I worked for an indian family for a couple of years and the kids were all reasonably cool but mom and pop were a pain in the ass to work for so I had to bounce. The old timers were also racist so I don't know how the hell I got that job when mom n pop were on some big time:mjpls: but they payed me on time and my work was consistent night after night. When people in the UK says Asian usually they think Indian and for good reason but for some reason we don't think of them as south asian even though that is what they are by definition. Asian here really just means Chinese, Japanese, Korean or south-east asian like Vietnamese, Laotian, and even pacific Islander but Indian is seen as kind of it's own thing along with Bangladesh and those other nations on the subcontinent. As far as why they haven't become a feature? Probably because like upthread someone said they make their money and keep it moving. They have Bollywood and other cultural elements like religion, traditions, etc that I suppose are good enough and then there are some popular Indians in American TV and film. Chinese were working the rails 150 years ago+. We been here since day 2 basically and we all know when the spaniards arrived but AFAIK we don't have a dark colonial history with India. Most of them came post Vietnam War era when the country was a bit more ...settled down from the social changes in the 60s.

MikeyC

The Coli Royal Rumble Champion 2019
Daps
Reppin
London
Cos its been like dat since back in the day.