Why do most "Christians" celebrate Xmas in a pagan way?

Daps
Reppin
#RIP Kobe
I never understood this.
Gifts, trees, St. Nick , etc

How does any of that stuff relate to Jesus and his bday?

Why are pagan traditions still continued? I thought pagan and Jesus dont mix

Why do people complain about holiday stress when they can keep their $ and just praise Jesus?

So why Christian are celebrating Christmas? Why even celebrate his birth if his death is the event that saved you?

50CentStan

Allahu Akbar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Ummah!
christians AND catholics.

and there is a difference between those two.

christians don't pray to saints and the "virgin" mary

Christians and Catholics? which ones dont celebrate Christmas? Every Christian I know thats not jehova witness celebrates it, and catholics too. You saying one group doesnt?

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
Christians and Catholics? which ones dont celebrate Christmas? Every Christian I know thats not jehova witness celebrates it, and catholics too. You saying one group doesnt?
HE'S JUST EXPRESSING A COMMON ANTI-CATHOLIC SENTIMENT ON THIS DAY WE CELEBRATE THE BIRTH OF BABY JESUS, BROTHER! MANY PROTESTANTS MISUNDERSTAND THE CATHOLIC TRADITION OF ASKING SAINTS TO HOLLA AT YHWH, DUDE!

YBM

Pro
Daps
The holiday has been hijacked by the media and big business. But it is the people themselves that forgot what the holiday is really about. It's up to us to change it but we really don't give fukk

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Christianity, at its root, is fundamentally about deep questions of who we are and who God is, and how we relate to God and other people.

Outer symbolism about mangers and stars and Christmas trees and presents and santas are just superficial gloss laid over that root. Christianity shouldn't ever be about one culture, so any culture can overlay any symbolism that it wants to the basic Christian story. It's only when the symbolism distorts or ignores the story (like when selfless gift-giving to others turns into a worship of materialism) that it becomes a problem.

i dont like when people think catholics are like christians.
theres a difference btwn the two.

You honestly believe the Christian faith started in 1517? I ain't Catholic, but Catholics are obviously Christian, they've been holding up the Christian Church for far longer than Protestants have, and they're recognized as such by most other Christians. Which Protestant denomination do you belong to, if you want to start using words correctly?

christianity gets its stories and themes from "pagan" religions, so it is only fitting that they carry on tradition and find new ways to incorporate other people's stuff into it.

Not even close. All the basic stories of Biblical Christianity are rooted in Jewish stories, with a surprising twist added by the life of Jesus. The fundamentals of pagan stories are so different from the fundamentals of Judeo-Christian stories that you have to be ignorant of both to make the connection.

At different times different cultures of all sorts have overlaid their own superficial themes on top of the basic story. But if they change the Judeo-Christian root and make the fundamental story about something else (like, say, the Gnostics did), then it's not biblical Christianity anymore.

Better question is why so many Christians choose to honor their anti materialistic gospel in an incredibly materialistic way.

:salute:

That indeed would be the better question.

The answer is obvious (because people are greedy and America is leading the world in making greed/wealth/power the modern god), but it's still a question every Christian needs to confront themselves with.