Why do majority of latina Americans have a distinct (non American) accent

Jalether

Superstar
Daps
Every other ethnic groups that are 3rd or more generation Americans sound American (regardless of the slangs) Latinas on the otherhand still have that peculiar accent, Mecixans and Dominicans being the best examples

Aren't kids meant to pick up the accent of the city/country they were born in:patrice:

Sleepy Floyd

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston, Texas
Latinos are the only group who can get by in America without actually learning English.

Their need to assimilate and master English is not as strong as other groups so their English is a lot more heavily influenced by their native language of Spanish. Especially in California, Texas and Florida

Jalether

Superstar
Daps
Latinos are the only group who can get by in America without actually learning English.

Their need to assimilate and master English is not as strong as other groups so their English is a lot more heavily influenced by their native language of Spanish. Especially in California, Texas and Florida

That makes sense. They are quite proud of their heritage that they see adaptation to the American culture as
a betrayal

Prince.Skeletor

Donā€™t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Culture thatā€™s why
Latinas are complex
They are one of the most tied to their culture type people but also the most open to interracial relationships & baby making

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
California has some white people that have an accent white people call "Okie". I'm sure it originated from Oklahoma, but Cali really has country ass white people most people don't even know about.

I don't really hear people talk about it, but I'd imagine every state has those type of white people somewhere.

Edit: For sure the south and mid west has those type of white people, I'm from Cali, we have them. I'd bet money in the state of NY outside of NYC they probably got country ass white people too.

Fiji Water

Every moment is an opportunity
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
@MMS is it you they mention at the end of the video? Lmaoooo

Wrong thread.smh. :mjlol:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MMS

Peak

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Aren't kids meant to pick up the accent of the city/country they were born in:patrice:
Says who? You tend to pick up mannerisms, etiquette etc from your parents/nuclear family. Accents won't be that different particularly if their wider community speak in a similar way.

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Most Latinos live in segregated areas unless they marry out and go out of their way to live with non-Latinos. Therefore keeping their accents intact throughout the generations to some degree. The same with Black Americans. During the Great Migration, Black people largely still lived in segregated neighborhoods in the North and West and were able to keep the Southern baseline and intonations in their accents even if most other aspects of their accents changed (New York accents might be a noticeable exception). For both ethnic groups, it might change in the upcoming decades with more people living in integrated areas and neighborhoods.