Why do film studios like to release lower budgeted movie against a High budget superhero/franchise?

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Like they really gonna release this romance comedy drama against Marvel films or Star Wars etc just so it can flop
:gucci: someone fill me in at the workings of these companies
Sometimes the blockbuster is sold out. Sometimes the blockbuster is whack. And movie theater's like having a variety.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
To attract another crowd/consumer

This. Counter-programming is a thing.

Girls Trip is a good example of it too. Was released two week after Spider-man, the week after Planet of the Apes and the same week as Dunkirk and Valerian, and I erroneously thought that would be a horrible idea instead of releasing it in February or March. Shows what I know, Girls Trip smashed and showed there were people that wanted to see something other than super hero shyt, war movies, or sci-fi flicks.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
I’d say the smartest time to release a chick flick is when a big comic movie releases. YOu want to be the “other’ choice when all the competitors for the comic movie crowd are scared away from that release date.

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
The Rom-Coms are usually distributed under a subsidiary of the big movie studios anyway so in the end, as long as the blockbusters perform, they can take a risk on a low budget movie.

Universal put out Girls Trip, Get Out, and Fast 8 last year. It's all the same pie.