Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Why Black Men Quit Teaching
Why Black Men Quit Teaching

21Emdin-articleLarge-v2.jpg

How can we help black boys succeed in school? One popular answer is that we need more black male teachers.

The logic appears simple: Black boys are not faring well, and the presence of black men as teachers and role models will fix this problem. The former secretary of education, Arne Duncan, brought this theory to national attention with a number of speeches at historically black colleges and universities. His successor, John King Jr., has taken up the argument, often repeating the statistic that only 2 percent of our nation’s teachers are African-American men.

The argument may be well intentioned, but it is a cop-out. Schools are failing black male students, and it’s not because of the race of their teachers. These students are often struggling with the adverse effects of poverty, the inequitable distribution of resources across communities and the criminalization of black men inside and outside of schools. Black male teachers can serve as powerful role models, but they cannot fix the problems minority students face simply by being black and male.

Black male teachers are not just expected to teach and be role models; they are also tasked with the work of disciplinarians. The stereotype is that they are best at dispensing “tough love” to difficult students. Black male educators I work with have described their primary job as keeping black students passive and quiet, and suspending them when they commit infractions. In this model, they are robbed of the opportunity to teach, while black male students are robbed of opportunities to learn.

Teachers hear the phrase “tough love” all the time; it is used to justify hurtful practices such as not giving black students the second chances that others receive to complete assignments, suspending students for breaking minor rules that others are not punished for, or yelling at students for being playful or asking too many questions.

Many black male teachers at first believe in the need for “tough love.” When they realize it is code for doing damage to black students, they are filled with remorse and often leave the field of teaching. About a year ago, a teacher named Joseph Mathews came rushing into my office saying: “I can’t look those black boys in the face and make them feel like I felt in school anymore. I have to quit.” This is a pervasive yet under-researched phenomenon that seriously affects teacher retention.

To his credit, Mr. King has recognized what he calls “the invisible tax” on minority educators. This tax is paid in the extra disciplinary and relationship-building work that black teachers do beyond teaching. Unfortunately, acknowledging the tax does little to alleviate it or its consequences.

Instead of fixating on black male teachers, we need to examine how teachers are trained, their beliefs about young minority men, and how they engage their students. They should be prepared to teach to each student’s unique needs, and to recognize that no student learns best under conditions that make him feel uncared for. If the notion that we must hire black male teachers in order to have positive role models for black youth makes sense, how can we not recognize that untrained and unprepared black male teachers can cause more harm than good?

I vividly remember, as a boy, having a black male teacher who didn’t see any value in me as a person, and who didn’t seem to enjoy teaching black and brown boys. Our school was diverse, with students from many ethnic and racial backgrounds, and this teacher clearly treated black male students differently, raising his voice and enforcing rules more strictly. He was allowed to teach the way he did because he was dealing with black male students who were perceived to need “tough love.” But I felt targeted by the very teacher who (because he was black) was supposed to be the person I connected to.

This cycle of dysfunction is repeated in schools across the country when black men, unprepared and burdened with expectations that inhibit them from being effective, are placed in front of students and told to teach. A better solution is to train all teachers, black and white, to acknowledge the biases they hold about their students based on their race, class, gender, sexual orientation and physical ability. Then they can learn strategies for being effective with these students despite their differences.

The new crop of black male teachers being herded into schools this fall as saviors of the same black children that schools have failed need to be told that teachers are not heroes; they do not need to save children, they just need to educate them.

This is not a call for more white teachers or a statement about some inherent inability of black male teachers. It is a call for a more thoughtful approach to teacher recruitment and retention, and a renewed focus on teacher preparation. Have we not seen the effects of programs that recruit mostly white, middle-class college graduates to “tough schools” only to see high teacher turnover, ineffective teaching and increasing achievement gaps? Why are we embracing a black male version of the same broken model, instead of working to fix the problem?

Yagirlcheatinonus

Icon Poster
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:ohhh: I never realized the number was that small.

I think the rate of pay has to do with the lack of black male teachers. If they paid teachers more

Yagirlcheatinonus

Icon Poster
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Think about it a teacher is a stressful job not to mention the pay is low, then you have to pay back student loans for going to school to become a teacher. Now you trying to budget a life on little money every month and you can forget about dating. Women want dudes with money. So they gotta offer more money.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
From what I've read it is even just black males, its males in general.
men don't teach much anymore, its kind of a female profession.
I've read they typically don't want men period teaching K-6 for some reason, and typically push men in the 7 - 12 grades and then they push them more towards administration when they do get in.

Pretty fukked up to me, another reason why my children will never go to public school

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
i was thinking about becoming a certified substitute teacher

Respectfully, don't. It's a thankless job. (I was a sub.) Unless the certification is required, skip it. If it is, go the extra mile & become a real teacher.

I TOTALLY agree with the disciplinarian part, especially when it comes to black male teachers. There's a little more to it, though. Black teachers tend to talk to our students the same way their parents do. It's why little Jimmy gets a "please go back to your seat" and Jamal gets "sit...DOWN." Why? Because that's what Jamal hears at home, and nothing up until "sit...DOWN" registers as an actual command. Meanwhile, Jimmy's bytch ass will cry, go tell his parents and have them up in your face, whereas Jamal's parents will be like "what were you doing out of your seat in the first place?" Give me black parents over white ones any day. (This doesn't apply to private school, where nobody is up and running in the first place.)

I wish to God I could talk to black students and white students the same way, but I just can't. shyt, I tried. And tried. And TRIED. I'm planning on doing my dissertation on this in a few years.

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
Respectfully, don't. It's a thankless job. (I was a sub.) Unless the certification is required, skip it. If it is, go the extra mile & become a real teacher.

I TOTALLY agree with the disciplinarian part, especially when it comes to black male teachers. There's a little more to it, though. Black teachers tend to talk to our students the same way their parents do. It's why little Jimmy gets a "please go back to your seat" and Jamal gets "sit...DOWN." Why? Because that's what Jamal hears at home, and nothing up until "sit...DOWN" registers as an actual command. Meanwhile, Jimmy's bytch ass will cry, go tell his parents and have them up in your face, whereas Jamal's parents will be like "what were you doing out of your seat in the first place?" Give me black parents over white ones any day. (This doesn't apply to private school, where nobody is up and running in the first place.)
I wish to God I could talk to black students and white students the same way, but I just can't. shyt, I tried. And tried. And TRIED. I'm planning on doing my dissertation on this in a few years.
I don't know, I don't like the implications of that. Seems like you're sayinf well they get talked down to all the time so that's the only way i should talk to em.

Maxine Shaw

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
I don't know, I don't like the implications of that. Seems like you're sayinf well they get talked down to all the time so that's the only way i should talk to em.

Odd, because I clearly stated that I wish it wasn't that way. Furthermore, you give me absolutely no advice on how to change this, despite the fact that I've been ripping my hair out trying to do this for years to the point that I plan to pursue a doctoral degree so this can be acknowledged and fixed . That's going to be pretty easy since I spent my MEd researching this exact same problem.

As a surprise to no-fukking-body, you totally skipped past the part in the article where these teachers express frustration that they (well, we as black teachers) are expected to be harder and giving "touch love", and how exhausting it is and how we don't want to do it anymore. So your thoughts of my implications mean absolutely dikk to me. I'm actively working to fix this issue. I have spent years on this very issue in education. I have dedicated my life to this thing of our. You're...posting on the Coli about "the only way i should talk to em". Pray tell, breh, how many years have you been in the classroom again? By all means, let me set aside my Master of Science, my Master of Education and my doctoral statement for an Ed.D. in Educational Psychology so you can provide me with some advice and help from your vast years of experience and education.

NnoGhN1.gif

Whenever you're ready, breh. You call yourself a scholar, so let's see how you do when an actual scholar calls you out.

Fox

Pro
Daps
Reppin
PHARAOH & THEM
By all means, let me set aside my Master of Science, my Master of Education and my doctoral statement for an Ed.D. in Educational Psychology so you can provide me with some advice and help from your vast years of experience and education.

So glad you mentioned you're a teacher I'd like to get your perspective on something...?

How do you feel about parents that put their kids in bad situations but expect them to be rocket scientist when it's all said and done? I'm talking working paycheck to paycheck at under twenty bucks an hour, living in a bum school district and too poor to pay for tutors... does it irritate you as a teacher or does it make you want to go the extra mile for these type of students?

Maybe both??
Not saying you teach in a bum district or anything :whoa:

Maxine Shaw

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
How do you feel about parents that put their kids in bad situations but expect them to be rocket scientist when it's all said and done? I'm talking working paycheck to paycheck at under twenty bucks an hour, living in a bum school district and too poor to pay for tutors... does it irritate you as a teacher or does it make you want to go the extra mile for these type of students?

Maybe both??

It's both. To misquote Trick Daddy, I love the kids - it's their parents I can't stand. The expectations that are heaped on us are just insane, especially in the public districts. I blame Hollywood. My M.S. final thesis was on how Hollywood shapes the American perception of teachers, and I expanded on that in my M.Ed. when it came to black children specifically. Like the article says, we're always expected to show "tough love", rather than be nurturing. Black students are almost always belligerent and foul-mouthed, and teachers regularly slap them, push them, shove them, etc. And I honestly think a lot of young teachers (as in the first three years of teaching) absorb that and act accordingly.

Ironically, I actually find poorer parents tend to be more vigilant about education, not less. (They're also far more critical and quicker to abuse teachers, ESPECIALLY black teachers, but that's a different thread.) And despite what FOX News tells the world, black parents value education very much. It's just that far too many of them feel like their job is to provide and our job is to teach. It just doesn't work that way. I can teach until I drop dead, but if it's not reinforced in the home, I've done nothing. And I know that Johnny can't get to tutoring after school b/c Mom has a job (it's free, BTW) and Johnny can't get to the library b/c he has no transportation and Johnny can't do his homework b/c there are no lights in the house. But what the hell else am I supposed to do - pay the light bill? Be a weekend chauffeur? Take Johnny home every night? (A number of parents think this is a perfectly reasonable thing.) It's hard not to get pissed off. I mean, I don't raise kids, and I can only imagine how hard some of my students' home lives were. But...something still has to give! You're just going to let your kid suffer b/c you're too damned tired from your night shift to make sure he's doing his homework?

I know this is going to sound awful, but...I bust my ass for my black students b/c I want to, and I bust my ass for my non-black students b/c I have to. (This isn't uncommon.) Why? B/c my non-black students will be just fine w/o me. They have community and resources and outside help. For a lot of my black students, all they have is me. There is no community, unfortunately, and I'm not really sure why. That doesn't mean that I neglected my white students (I'd never had more than two in a class anyway), just that I did it for different reasons. Same things goes w/my current job. There are 17 black kids in the entire freaking school! So yes, I'm going to care for them in a different way and be more vested in them than the others. It's a very difficult path to walk.

Fox

Pro
Daps
Reppin
PHARAOH & THEM
Ironically, I actually find poorer parents tend to be more vigilant about education, not less. (They're also far more critical and quicker to abuse teachers, ESPECIALLY black teachers, but that's a different thread.) And despite what FOX News tells the world, black parents value education very much. It's just that far too many of them feel like their job is to provide and our job is to teach. It just doesn't work that way. I can teach until I drop dead, but if it's not reinforced in the home, I've done nothing. And I know that Johnny can't get to tutoring after school b/c Mom has a job (it's free, BTW) and Johnny can't get to the library b/c he has no transportation and Johnny can't do his homework b/c there are no lights in the house. But what the hell else am I supposed to do - pay the light bill? Be a weekend chauffeur? Take Johnny home every night? (A number of parents think this is a perfectly reasonable thing.) It's hard not to get pissed off. I mean, I don't raise kids, and I can only imagine how hard some of my students' home lives were. But...something still has to give! You're just going to let your kid suffer b/c you're too damned tired from your night shift to make sure he's doing his homework?

You know and I get it... you want your child to have better options than you and to live a quality life, I get that. The problem is that a lot of kids in these circumstances don't always respond well to this kind of vigilance by struggling parents. It really annoys the hell out of me to see what some of these kids have to deal with at home and then turn around have some book nazi parent shoving crazy pressure on them. I'm ranting here but I can only imagine if some of that vigilance actually went into the planning of their child's future beforehand, it'd make things so much better in a place where the odds are already stacked against them.

I know this is going to sound awful, but...I bust my ass for my black students b/c I want to, and I bust my ass for my non-black students b/c I have to. (This isn't uncommon.) Why? B/c my non-black students will be just fine w/o me. They have community and resources and outside help. For a lot of my black students, all they have is me. There is no community, unfortunately, and I'm not really sure why. That doesn't mean that I neglected my white students (I'd never had more than two in a class anyway), just that I did it for different reasons. Same things goes w/my current job. There are 17 black kids in the entire freaking school! So yes, I'm going to care for them in a different way and be more vested in them than the others. It's a very difficult path to walk.

Actually, it sounds like you've really been educated. There's a lot of people with their degree and everything but you'll find in a lot of cases they've been fairly indoctrinated. Once they reach graduation it's like common sense becomes lost on them. Glad to know there's people out there in positions that matter with black students best interests at heart. Boy do they need your support!

Last edited: