Why #BankBlack Is Betraying The Black Freedom Struggle

Daps
Why #BankBlack is Betraying the Black Freedom Struggle

Recently the #BankBlack hashtag has invaded social media outlets. Advocates believe that by transferring money and banking relationships to financial institutions owned by black people that some level of ‘economic empowerment’ or ‘community development’ is destined to follow. Killer Mike, T.I., and Solange are supporting it. Ben Jealous’s non-profit BMe Community recently moved one million dollars to the largest black-owned bank in America, OneUnited Bank....

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
This is better than nothing...:dahell: this is the beginning of the building blocks to create a true black economic power structure... We need to do like the jews & the asians do, buy property, protect our streets, open our own schools, fund our own businesses, keep the cops our of our shyt... it's gonna take a minute but the #BankBlack movement is essential. the next step is to Build a new black wall street & consolidated black businesses, pay off greedy politicians that way there wont be any fukkery going on.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Why do people come in threads and comment without reading articles?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

I have an account with Citizen's Trust but I am going to look into credit unions after reading this article.

:francis:All 3 of the Black-owned Credit Unions in my metro area, you have to be a member or immediate family of a member of the churches affiliated with these credit unions to open an account.

brother walt

GOOD AND CHEAP PODCAST
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
GOOD AND CHEAP PODCAST
Guy-Emerson-Mount.jpg
:mjlol: listen to cacs they say black banks bad they say

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
listen to cacs they say black banks bad they say

the idea comes from

Cornel West identified this key paradox in black nationalist politics back in 1982 where he exposed black nationalists/capitalists as a petite bourgeoisie cynically profiting from racial segregation by promoting a very conservative brand of black capitalist self-help respectability politics. They continue to do so while laughing all the way to the bank. In this way #BankBlack is a deeply conservative, not a radical, movement. West was building on the much earlier work of E. Franklin Frazier who made a similar observation in his 1957 classic Black Bourgeoisie.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just wanna know one thing. Are the banks loaning money to qualified applicants or not? Are the black owned banks loaning money to qualified black people or not? If I'm a black man with my finances in order enough to get a loan on an apt building is a black bank gonna loan or not. Outside of that this article really does nothing to help. Sounds like a hit piece tbh. It would make more sense to just promote establishing credits unions if that's the goal. Put your blog money where your mouth is and get the necessary campaign together to move the people where you want.