Why Are Caribbean Accents Still So Bad on Film and TV? | Op-Ed

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
The thing is a real authentic Jamaican dialect wouldn't be understood by the majority of viewers. So I understand why it's the way it is.

The first min and 30 seconds of this video for example would be hard for most non Jamaicans to understand. Keep in mind this isn't even THAT strong of an accent I can find more videos where it would be even harder for a non Jamaican to understand.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
The thing is a real authentic Jamaican dialect wouldn't be understood by the majority of viewers. So I understand why it's the way it is.

The first min and 30 seconds of this video for example would be hard for most non Jamaicans to understand. Keep in mind this isn't even THAT strong of an accent I can find more videos where it would be even harder for a non Jamaican to understand.

Dialect =/= accent

Jamaican patois is a language not a dialect

The Guru

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I saw this Shaggy interview where he said it would be hard to understand for international audiences if it was authentic.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Shaggy though? They couldn't find anyone else?

In terms of pretty accents I have always liked Ms. Debbie

I don't know what Americans/Non Yardies watch her channel, but she floats between raw Patois and the Queen's English.