• Antonio

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Bobby

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

DonB90

Superstar
Daps
James and its not as close as you think.

Man came from an Era where you could literally slap a bytch and pistol whip dudes in public then head to a juke joint immediately after and dance the night away like never happened.

THAT TIME JAMES BROWN TRIED TO MURDER JOE TEX WITH A SHOTGUN

joetexJB1_465_515_int.jpg

“Don’t shoot!”

R&B singer, Joe Tex, best known for his hits “Skinny Legs And All” and “Ain’t Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman)” had a bitter rivalry with James Brown that went beyond simple diss tracks. At one point the feud became so heated that James Brown attempted to murder Tex with a shotgun, reportedly wounding six or seven people in the process.
The rivalry dates back to the early days of their careers, according to Joe Tex’s Wikipedia page:
The feud between Tex and fellow labelmate James Brown took its origins allegedly sometime in the mid-1950s when both artists were signed to associated imprints of King Records when Brown allegedly called out on Tex for a “battle” during a dance at a local juke joint. In 1960, Tex left King and recorded a few songs for Detroit-based Anna Records, one of the songs he recorded was the ballad “Baby, You’re Right”. A year later, Brown recorded the song and released it in 1961, changing up the lyrics and the musical composition, earning Brown co-songwriting credits along with Tex.
It had to have stung having your song usurped, with a songwriting credit added, and watching it become a bigger hit than your single.

joe_tex_singles_465_225_int.jpg

Brown fueled the fire by hooking up and recording with Tex’s ex-wife. James Brown was kind of a dikk:

By then, Brown had recruited singer Bea Ford, who had been married to Tex prior, but had divorced in 1959. In 1960, Brown and Ford recorded the song, “You’ve Got the Power”. Shortly afterwards, Tex got a personal letter from Brown telling him that he was through with Ford and if Tex wanted her back, he could have her. Tex responded by recording the diss record, “You Keep Her”, where he called Brown’s name out.

“James I got your letter, it came to me today. You said I could have my baby back, but I don’t want her that way.”

Things soon came to a head at a 1963 gig in Macon, Georgia when Joe Tex aped Brown’s cape act. From Wikipedia:
In 1963, their feud escalated when Brown and Tex performed at what was Brown’s homecoming concert at Macon, Georgia. Tex, who opened the show, arrived in a tattered cape and began rolling around on the floor as if in agony, and screamed, “please - somebody help get me out of this cape!” This allegedly resulted in Brown finding Tex at an after show party at a nightclub and shooting at the place with his gun. Tex would later claim that Brown stole his dance moves and his microphone stand tricks.
Eyewitnesses interviewed in Atlanta’s Creative Loafing magazine, describe the situation as much more dire than “shooting at the place.”

According to these witnesses, Brown took two shotguns into an after-hours juke joint, where Otis Redding and the Pinetoppers were playing, gunning for Joe Tex. He reportedly ended up shooting six or seven people before jumping behind the wheel of his tour bus and taking off. A member of his entourage handed out hundred dollar bills to keep the everyone (including the injured) quiet.

james-brown.gif

Last edited:

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
:mjlol:

probably orlando even tho he’s the least notorious…crazy that AB is arguably the most “sane” among them

Nah AB brain is oatmeal lol

Orlando is the worst to me followed by AB. I’d say Bobby is the most sane, never heard much from him but drug shyt but then again I was young during his prime.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
James and its not as close as you think.

Man came from an Era where you could literally slap a bytch and pistol whip dudes in public then head to a juke joint immediately after and dance the night away like never happened.

james-brown.gif

trapnerd

All Star
Daps
James brown was the epitome of “All gas no brakes” and he lived that way until he died.

None of these other dudes can compare.