White guy here, wanting to learn about ancient and medieval era sub-Saharan Africa

DTR90

Rookie
Daps
I'm a history nerd who has taken in so much about Europe, Asia and the Americas, but the history of Africa and it's peoples is something of an uncharted territory to me. Obviously I know a fair bit about North Africans - ie. Egyptians, Carthaginians and Moors - but sub-Saharan Africa is something I have yet to read upon in great detail.

I know a bit about Ethiopia, and vaguely about the Bantu as well as Mali (home of the richest man in history, if I'm not mistaken?)

Would any of you care to point me in the direction of some good reading material? I'm especially interested in what was occurring while the Greeks and Romans were doing their thing.

I know 'medieval era' is probably an incorrect term to use in the context of it being Africa, but you catch my drift. Stuff that was happening during those years though.

Thanks for any tips!

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I'm a history nerd who has taken in so much about Europe, Asia and the Americas, but the history of Africa and it's peoples is something of an uncharted territory to me. Obviously I know a fair bit about North Africans - ie. Egyptians, Carthaginians and Moors - but sub-Saharan Africa is something I have yet to read upon in great detail.

I know a bit about Ethiopia, and vaguely about the Bantu as well as Mali (home of the richest man in history, if I'm not mistaken?)

Would any of you care to point me in the direction of some good reading material? I'm especially interested in what was occurring while the Greeks and Romans were doing their thing.

I know 'medieval era' is probably an incorrect term to use in the context of it being Africa, but you catch my drift. Stuff that was happening during those years though.

Thanks for any tips!

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/lets-talk-african-history-the-swahili-coast.429833/

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/lets-talk-african-history-the-kongo-kingdom.428377/

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/lets-talk-african-history-sahel-west-african-civilizations.228936/

Daps
Reppin
NULL

Thanks for any tips!

Lesson #1: Stop using the word "Sub-Saharan Africa".

That is a bullshyt term created by white supremacists to separate the accomplishments of ancient black people in North Africa from the modern day black populations south of the Sahara. There is only AFRICAN HISTORY. Period. Nothing else.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps

That is a bullshyt term created by white supremacists to separate the accomplishments of ancient black people in North Africa from the modern day black populations south of the Sahara. There is only AFRICAN HISTORY. Period. Nothing else.

When he started that bs I knew something was off

Superstar
Daps

Thanks for any tips!

You're better off going to r/AskHistorians.

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music

:wow::wow::wow:

DTR90

Rookie
Daps

Fair enough, I was not aware of the connotations of that term.

And not a setup at all. Just a history nerd "cac" wanting to educate himself on a subject he's not massively familiar with.

White people always want us to give them our history and culture then try to eliminate us from it

I'm good cac, Google it.:hubie:

What do you mean by this?