Which MacBook should I buy for photography/ video editing ?

Daps
Im a beginner photographer
camera is 80d. Still Learning the terminology & how to use the camera.
Need for perfessional shoots, youtube, podcasts.

I’ve been lucky to get gigs with food and Real estate through my dad & just promoting myself
But I need to Learn how to edit.

Not looking for the maxed out versions just yet.
Budget under 3,000.
Should I go with the 13 or 15in
Buy Final Cut Pro x $299 or adobe

If y’all could give me specs

And should I go with Refurbished Mac - Apple refurbished or buy new?

Looking to buy around Black Friday or cyber Monday

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures

I’ve been lucky to get gigs with food and Real estate through my dad & just promoting myself

Budget under 3,000.

If your going to be working a lot off the laptop itself then I would get the 15 inch version , if you find maybe you want to supplement your work with an external monitor id go 13 ... just really depends

You can’t just get any monitor though you’ll need to make sure it’s color accurate ...they can get pricey ... I’d just get 15 inches

I prefer Adobe Premier for video editing I was able to do some dope shyt without really knowing anything and watching tutorials

Refurbished is reallly up to you. Me personally I don’t really care as long as the battery cycle hasn’t been depleted I’m good , macs hold their value for long periods of time

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Save a ton of money, get a Windows laptop with the same or better hardware. Won't look as cute, but way more bang for your buck. Use your savings for camera equipment.

Kings County

Law III | Law XXV | Law XV
Daps
Reppin
The Roman Empire

Budget under 3,000.

a windows
or download final cut pro from torrents

Daps
a windows
or download final cut pro from torrents

I want to do that but I suck at programming. I don’t know how to install program torrents when I download them.

If your going to be working a lot off the laptop itself then I would get the 15 inch version , if you find maybe you want to supplement your work with an external monitor id go 13 ... just really depends

You can’t just get any monitor though you’ll need to make sure it’s color accurate ...they can get pricey ... I’d just get 15 inches

I prefer Adobe Premier for video editing I was able to do some dope shyt without really knowing anything and watching tutorials

Refurbished is reallly up to you. Me personally I don’t really care as long as the battery cycle hasn’t been depleted I’m good , macs hold their value for long periods of time

I will probably go refurbished but will the basic 15in 2018 serve me ok for a beginner?
Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.2GHz 6-core Intel Core i7 with Retina display - Space Gray

I can upgrade later in another year or 2.

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
I want to do that but I suck at programming. I don’t know how to install program torrents when I download them.

I will probably go refurbished but will the basic 15in 2018 serve me ok for a beginner?
Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.2GHz 6-core Intel Core i7 with Retina display - Space Gray

I can upgrade later in another year or 2.
:mindblown: $2k for a LAPTOP ?!

breh no lie you cooked right now, used that money and build yourself a pc preferably one with a ryzen 7 chip you'll get WAY more use outta that

Kings County

Law III | Law XXV | Law XV
Daps
Reppin
The Roman Empire

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
The MacBooks from the year 2016-2018 only contain USB-c ports. if that's a deal breaker for you then get a surface pro. it's in the same price range as a MacBook and has a USB-a port.
I have a MacBook Pro-2017 with 16gb of ram, 256 storage, and no touch bar. I code and use Photoshop regularly. it works fine on my end. my only main problem is not having enough storage so I use a flash drive to supplement.
I've used final cut pro in the past and have not had any problems, I haven't tried editing 4k but I have confidence my machine could handle it.
my computer costs about $2500 it was brand new at the time. I would definitely wait for black Friday. apple will not mark it down but other sites might.
Don't buy the touch-bar everyone that i've talked to who has it says it's such a waste of space.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
If you must use Final Cut pro you can run on the lower model mac book pro without any issues.
I have the highest spec imac 27" you can get and a base model macbook pro and final cut pro works incredibly well on both of them.
Apple definitely deserves praise for how well they optimize their software for their hardware.
Spec for spec, dollar for dollar, you'd be better off with a windows machine though.
If you're dead set on mac, go for the smaller screen and higher specs as your budget permits.
If you need a bigger screen you can go with an external monitor.
Do you need a laptop though? Just get an imac. You'll get more for your money.

Daps
If you must use Final Cut pro you can run on the lower model mac book pro without any issues.
I have the highest spec imac 27" you can get and a base model macbook pro and final cut pro works incredibly well on both of them.
Apple definitely deserves praise for how well they optimize their software for their hardware.
Spec for spec, dollar for dollar, you'd be better off with a windows machine though.
If you're dead set on mac, go for the smaller screen and higher specs as your budget permits.
If you need a bigger screen you can go with an external monitor.
Do you need a laptop though? Just get an imac. You'll get more for your money.

For right now unfortunately yes I do.
In college, while I do trust my roommate. I don’t feel comfortable leaving such an expensive investment in the room while I’m not there or when he has guest we have a floor open door policy. I tend to keep my camera at my parents. I will get definitely get an iMac or build a pc when I get my apartment.

I need a laptop to learn but also functional for when gigs do come around, making youtube videos & podcast plus for school.
I have an older iPad Air and just enjoy Mac experience more than windows right now

So I should be fine with a basic 2018 15 or 13 256g?
What lower model to you?

Is refurbished ok?
Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Retina display - Silver

Truefan31

Superstar
Daps
For right now unfortunately yes I do.
In college, while I do trust my roommate. I don’t feel comfortable leaving such an expensive investment in the room while I’m not there or when he has guest we have a floor open door policy. I tend to keep my camera at my parents. I will get definitely get an iMac or build a pc when I get my apartment.

I need a laptop to learn but also functional for when gigs do come around, making youtube videos & podcast plus for school.
I have an older iPad Air and just enjoy Mac experience more than windows right now

So I should be fine with a basic 2018 15 or 13 256g?
What lower model to you?

Is refurbished ok?
Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Retina display - Silver

yes refurbished is perfectly fine, from Apple it's basically brand new, manufacturer warranty included (applecare can be added as well).

In your situation, a 13 inch will be fine. The 2018s now have quad core processors, which make editing/rendering so much faster now. Save the difference from the 15 inch, and get a nice monitor. Final Cut Pro is super efficient, fast, and optimized for mac.

Daps
yes refurbished is perfectly fine, from Apple it's basically brand new, manufacturer warranty included (applecare can be added as well).

In your situation, a 13 inch will be fine. The 2018s now have quad core processors, which make editing/rendering so much faster now. Save the difference from the 15 inch, and get a nice monitor. Final Cut Pro is super efficient, fast, and optimized for mac.

Thank you.
And as others said in this thread. I can just use the rest of the money on gear