Where Did Mortal Kombat Armageddon Go Wrong

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
With Mortal Kombat coming in a few months, lets look at the last effort of the PS2 era that sadly was overlooked:

51TgXAeECUL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

This game felt like a fever dream:

• A stack roster of past, present, and future fighters
  • Better implemented 3D
  • The return of stage fatalities
  • Dope Soundtrack
  • Create a fatality
  • Mortal Kombat Racing (MK Kart)
  • A story mode
Yet, for some reason, the game was considered mid and a flop to most MK heads.

Somebody help me understand why this game was doomed to fail, despite having the goods to be GOTY.

AStrangeName

Member of Snitch Syndication
Daps
With Mortal Kombat coming in a few months, lets look at the last effort of the PS2 era that sadly was overlooked:

51TgXAeECUL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

This game felt like a fever dream:

• A stack roster of past, present, and future fighters
  • Better implemented 3D
  • The return of stage fatalities
  • Dope Soundtrack
  • Create a fatality
  • Mortal Kombat Racing (MK Kart)
  • A story mode
Yet, for some reason, the game was considered mid and a flop to most MK heads.

Somebody help me understand why this game was doomed to fail, despite having the goods to be GOTY.

From my experience playing the game growing up, having about everyone playable in the game was great, but then you it end up being one of it's number of flaws the game got hit with. Because of having that many kharacters, that means no unique fatalities outside of the large fighters, thus where Kreate a Fatality comes into picture along with kreating your own kombatant.

Kreate a Fatality was interesting on paper, but in your hands, it's very limiting which is understandable for the reasons above, it didn't have that same impact (no wrestling) like how the fatalities had in Deception. Konquest mode was seen as an step down from Deception as it was more of an beat 'em up as oppose of an adventure game and with that many fighters made available, most aren't in konquest mode like they were in Deception. That part can be seen as an nitpick, though. Some might say also bring up being close to the PS3 and Wii (which got an port) cause the game to be overshadowed for an bit.

Honestly, the game made improvements to the gameplay, even if it's broken. The game ranks ups quite well for the 3D era pretty much right behind Deception and is above Deadly Alliance, 4/Gold and vs. DC in my opinion. I think the MK fandom isn't so negative to the game like how they were back then seeing as we're approaching it's 20th anniversary in three years, so we'll hear an perception of the game by then.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
From my experience playing the game growing up, having about everyone playable in the game was great, but then you it end up being one of it's number of flaws the game got hit with. Because of having that many kharacters, that means no unique fatalities outside of the large fighters, thus where Kreate a Fatality comes into picture along with kreating your own kombatant.

Kreate a Fatality was interesting on paper, but in your hands, it's very limiting which is understandable for the reasons above, it didn't have that same impact (no wrestling) like how the fatalities had in Deception. Konquest mode was seen as an step down from Deception as it was more of an beat 'em up as oppose of an adventure game and with that many fighters made available, most aren't in konquest mode like they were in Deception. That part can be seen as an nitpick, though. Some might say also bring up being close to the PS3 and Wii (which got an port) cause the game to be overshadowed for an bit.

Honestly, the game made improvements to the gameplay, even if it's broken. The game ranks ups quite well for the 3D era pretty much right behind Deception and is above Deadly Alliance, 4/Gold and vs. DC in my opinion. I think the MK fandom isn't so negative to the game like how they were back then seeing as we're approaching it's 20th anniversary in three years, so we'll hear an perception of the game by then.

:dead:

DaylitoJames

#SnitchGang Elite
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sneak Nation

c/s all of this plus I'll add that to me Blaze wasn't that memorable of a final boss especially compared to Shao Khan, Shang Tsung and etc.

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
They just threw everything at the wall with this one that was the problem. No focus or vision, just pure fan service and extra content. There are worst ways to send off the gen for a franchise though. One thing about these MK games, they definitely give you your money's worth.

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly I don’t care what anyone says this games will always be the best Mortal Kombat to me. I loved the Kreate a Fighter and the amount of characters it had. Definitely in my top 10 -15 favorite games. I played the shyt out of it on PS2 and still play it on PC using the pcsx2 emulator.

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly I had a ton of fun with this game as a kid. :yeshrug: Custom characters, Konquest Mode, 64 character roster, Motor Kombat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Oh and this was the first game that I managed to play online.:yeshrug:

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Wasn’t fatigue at that point too? I remember midway pumping out that trilogy back to back.