When your goal is mass can you work out your abs too?

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My goal is bulking for mass but once a week I do ab workouts, maybe like 4 exercises

Wondering if I should not all together or if it's recommended? If recommended, should I increase how often?

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
When you say your goal is bulking for mass, what do you mean?

What's your height/weight/body fat and what weight and body fat are you looking to achieve?

Working the abs is good. Aesthetically stronger abs will pop at much higher body fats and a strong core helps against injury.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When you say your goal is bulking for mass, what do you mean?

What's your height/weight/body fat and what weight and body fat are you looking to achieve?

Working the abs is good. Aesthetically stronger abs will pop at much higher body fats and a strong core helps against injury.

Bigger muscles. Currently 5'9 180. Going for 195.

Not sure of my body fat but aesthetically Its gone down a lot since I've cut soda, junk and fast food by 85%

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
What kind of numbers are you putting up in the gym? It's funny cause I am 5' 9" and am down to 185 from 198, trying to get under 180. Thing is the stronger you are at a given weight, the bigger you look.... i.e. I look way stronger now than I did at 198. So I would focus on getting weight on the bar up and weight on the scale down. If put that 15lb on in like a couple of months there's no way that even half of that will be muscle. Trust me

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What kind of numbers are you putting up in the gym? It's funny cause I am 5' 9" and am down to 185 from 198, trying to get under 180. Thing is the stronger you are at a given weight, the bigger you look.... i.e. I look way stronger now than I did at 198. So I would focus on getting weight on the bar up and weight on the scale down. If put that 15lb on in like a couple of months there's no way that even half of that will be muscle. Trust me

I'm like at 52.5 dumbbell chest press and started at 25. I gradually increased consistenly in the beginning but have been at those weights for months and I gotta be honest it's the diet. The lack of intake

How much do you intake? I'm assuming 3000-3500 is the way to go. I do try to hit the 1pound per protein

You're saying your upper body muscles look bigger now?

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I'm like at 52.5 dumbbell chest press and started at 25. I gradually increased consistenly in the beginning but have been at those weights for months and I gotta be honest it's the diet. The lack of intake

How much do you intake? I'm assuming 3000-3500 is the way to go. I do try to hit the 1pound per protein

You're saying your upper body muscles look bigger now?
Stalling could be a lot of things. How is your sleep? How is your workout structured... are you benching 1x, 2x, 3x/week? Where in the lift are you weak and what accessories are you doing to build those weak points? If you don't address those no amount of calories will help.

When I bulk my net intake is probably about 2600-2700. I do about 2900-3000 but I do cardio year round. Helps keep weight off and keeps me healthy. So yea you could probably make do with 2500 calories a day, not 3500.

My muscles def look bigger and there is a lot more detail and definition. Beats being fat any day.

In my opinion mass shouldn't be the goal. You can be 195, 225, 305lbs and still only be able to DB bench 52.5. Doesn't make sense. If I were you I would focus on being able to hit the following:

Bench press- 1 x body weight for 3 sets of 8-10
Chinups- 1x body weight for 3 sets of 8-10
Squats- 1.5x body weight for 3 sets of 8-10
Deadlifts- 1.5x body weight for 3 sets of 4-5

Will be way easier to hit that at what's probably your ideal bodyweight right now which I would guess would be about 160-165, and you will look bigger and better too. You don't need to gorge and get fat and nasty to get strong... all that getting up to 195 fast will do for you is add that many more lbs you will have to cut. Trust me, I've been there... I'm putting up damn near the same numbers now at 185 vs when I was 215-220. What weight do you think I would look better at? Just some food for thought... don't let lifting be an excuse to get fat. It's not worth it.

Daps

But you lost strength on that cut or no?

Most people when they cut right definently look bigger at lower weights, but like you said it all depends on how much muscle mass you have,but they also lose some strength while cutting.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
But you lost strength on that cut or no?

Most people when they cut right definently look bigger at lower weights, but like you said it all depends on how much muscle mass you have,but they also lose some strength while cutting.
I'm still cutting now and am actually getting stronger on most lifts 2 months in :dahell:. But every time I cut before I lost strength pretty quickly. I think a big part of it is experience.... I know what I need to do to hold on to strength and burn fat, and I think with each cut if you apply what you learn the body gets more efficient at it. If I could go back in time though I never would have blown the fukk up in the first place. I haven't been this low in weight for like 4 years and I'm close to max skrenfh. Dudes starting out make it hard AF by putting on too much fat.

• Dap
Reactions: Meh
Daps
I'm still cutting now and am actually getting stronger on most lifts 2 months in :dahell:. But every time I cut before I lost strength pretty quickly. I think a big part of it is experience.... I know what I need to do to hold on to strength and burn fat, and I think with each cut if you apply what you learn the body gets more efficient at it. If I could go back in time though I never would have blown the fukk up in the first place. I haven't been this low in weight for like 4 years and I'm close to max skrenfh. Dudes starting out make it hard AF by putting on too much fat.

How many calories you on daily? What's your protein intake?

I think the #1 way you keep most of your strength is get a lot of protein, I'm going on a mini cut right now,I'm about 6'0 211 12% body fat,going to drop 10 pounds and eat about 1800-2000 calories but get about 230 grams of protein.

But you are right,so many cats fukk up by just eating and lifting and then gaining a ton of fat,its not worth it,I saw that in the joint often,I'd rather guys take it slow,bump the calories up slowly and putting on the size and strength.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
How many calories you on daily? What's your protein intake?

I think the #1 way you keep most of your strength is get a lot of protein, I'm going on a mini cut right now,I'm about 6'0 211 12% body fat,going to drop 10 pounds and eat about 1800-2000 calories but get about 230 grams of protein.

But you are right,so many cats fukk up by just eating and lifting and then gaining a ton of fat,its not worth it,I saw that in the joint often,I'd rather guys take it slow,bump the calories up slowly and putting on the size and strength.
I do 2900-3000 kcal and ~225g protein in a bulk... on this cut I'm doing like 2000-2200kcal and 230-280g protein. I do cardio year round though so knock 200-300kcal off per day. The cardio is key.... you figure 1400-2000kcal/week of cardio, that's a lot of room to eat but also like 2-3lb a month you don't gain. Plus it's healthy and helps like crazy with the stamina in the gym. I love it

But yea a lot of brehs just use lifting as excuse to pig all the way the fukk out. Don't get me wrong, I like my treats but negus got the game confused.

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Stalling could be a lot of things. How is your sleep? How is your workout structured... are you benching 1x, 2x, 3x/week? Where in the lift are you weak and what accessories are you doing to build those weak points? If you don't address those no amount of calories will help.

When I bulk my net intake is probably about 2600-2700. I do about 2900-3000 but I do cardio year round. Helps keep weight off and keeps me healthy. So yea you could probably make do with 2500 calories a day, not 3500.

My muscles def look bigger and there is a lot more detail and definition. Beats being fat any day.

In my opinion mass shouldn't be the goal. You can be 195, 225, 305lbs and still only be able to DB bench 52.5. Doesn't make sense. If I were you I would focus on being able to hit the following:

Bench press- 1 x body weight for 3 sets of 8-10
Chinups- 1x body weight for 3 sets of 8-10
Squats- 1.5x body weight for 3 sets of 8-10
Deadlifts- 1.5x body weight for 3 sets of 4-5

Will be way easier to hit that at what's probably your ideal bodyweight right now which I would guess would be about 160-165, and you will look bigger and better too. You don't need to gorge and get fat and nasty to get strong... all that getting up to 195 fast will do for you is add that many more lbs you will have to cut. Trust me, I've been there... I'm putting up damn near the same numbers now at 185 vs when I was 215-220. What weight do you think I would look better at? Just some food for thought... don't let lifting be an excuse to get fat. It's not worth it.

I workout 4 days a week

Day 1 - Chest/Biceps
Day 2 - Legs (just squat and leg press)/Shoulders
Day 3 - Back/Tricep
Day 4 - Full Leg workout/abs

I go by myself in the gym all the time, so I've been doing dumbbell press not bench. See the numbers you've posted, I'd love to do that. The one area I think I'm very good at, better than most is squats. Like literally ass to grass I'm 205, 20 pounds under 2 plates which I think I can do but don't wanna take the chance with my back yet lol

I notice lately when I'm doing db that my left arm gets up before my right arm on the last rep or 2

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Workout plan looks pretty good. I would think about trying to hit all upper body parts 2x/week. Easiest way to do that would be a full upper body workout. Something like:

Bench/chinups or lat pull downs
Military press/ cable rows
Tricep pushdowns/curls/lateral raises

You will make gains way faster and have better recovery hitting shyt 2x/week. In my experience anyway.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Workout plan looks pretty good. I would think about trying to hit all upper body parts 2x/week. Easiest way to do that would be a full upper body workout. Something like:

Bench/chinups or lat pull downs
Military press/ cable rows
Tricep pushdowns/curls/lateral raises

You will make gains way faster and have better recovery hitting shyt 2x/week. In my experience anyway.

I've been meaning to add a 5th day in. So 3 sets of 5 of those exercises you think is good?