When to wear a weightlifting belt? What weight did you start if you use one?

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
im at 250 squats (I know from some of you dude this is nothing) but I'm finding it really hard to maintain tension without leaning my chest over and I've been told my form is pretty good. Thinking about using a belt at this point.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
You should figure out what is making it difficult for you to keep tension. If you can, post a squat vid. In any case I would recommend dialing back the weight and tightening up your form.
I can guess. At lighter weights I was able to hold good form just fine. Once I hit 225 though, it felt like it got significantly harder. I've had a few sessions lately of nearing complete exhaustion after I finish my squats. Thinking about going down in weight for a while and work back up again. Hoping to strengthen the core more before I get back at that weight.

The weight is killing my shoulders too and the slight discomfort is probably making me lose my focus a bit. Was thinking of using a bar pad before I do the belt and see if that helps

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I can guess. At lighter weights I was able to hold good form just fine. Once I hit 225 though, it felt like it got significantly harder. I've had a few sessions lately of nearing complete exhaustion after I finish my squats. Thinking about going down in weight for a while and work back up again. Hoping to strengthen the core more before I get back at that weight.

The weight is killing my shoulders too and the slight discomfort is probably making me lose my focus a bit. Was thinking of using a bar pad before I do the belt and see if that helps
There is always that itch to keep making the bar heavier but form follows function. Nothing wrong with correcting form for the sake of weight.

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws

How often do you bench or more specifically do you work shoulders? Also high bar or low bar?

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
Yea same at 225 I need it more for keep me stable after doin other shyt and reps before it; but after a while I'll stop to get my body use to it just building my strength back up and wrkin on my form when doin ass to grass squats along with deadlifts

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Well, see how it works for you. If you keep your upper body strong, you don't need to use a belt as a crutch. Olympic weight lifters can go heavy without a belt. I got dependent on a belt early, and I can notice the difference without it.
The belt allows your abs to support your back, not the other way around.

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Weightlifting belt is just for stabilizing your core to help prevent injury, not fix anything that's already wrong with your form.

If your form is bad a belt wont do anything for you, and for squats I wouldn't take most people at the gyms input seriously because most of their form is shyt. Record yourself squatting or have someone record you directly from the side, try with the bar in slightly different positions because that shyt makes a difference depending on your body type then critique it yourself

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I love belts because they allow you to better engage your abs during the lift

But they do not correct form problems. They may help you lift 250 easier, but when you do 265 you will have the same problem as before. Its all relative

I limit my use of them because they arent functional, but I still break them out for low rep deads and squats because that is my only ab workout