when did black american slaves lose their accents and languages?

OD-MELA

Pro
Daps
Reppin
when did black american slaves lose their accents and languages? how fast or slow was the process

if there is any online literature someone could direct me to, i would appreciate it.

Daps
didn't "Roots"answer this:comeon:i imagine after several couple generations black slaves whom were born in Amerikkka never knew their ancestral languages(among other things)as for accents even many Africans whom are multi generations removed from Africa accents are closer to the dominant culture(though with a black cadence) than African:yeshrug:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Prolly within 3 generations (I base this off how immigrants and their children lose their original languages.)

tstone

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1) They probably lost there accents during the 2nd generation. You can see this happening by using the experience of today's immigrants and their children.

2) Also many of the slaves came from different regions of west Africa so they needed a common language to speak which was English. Also the slave-masters discourage African language and culture as much as possible.

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
1) They probably lost there accents during the 2nd generation. You can see this happening by using the experience of today's immigrants and their children.

2) Also many of the slaves came from different regions of west Africa so they needed a common language to speak which was English. Also the slave-masters discourage African language and culture as much as possible.
This I was about to come in and say this it is probably no different then what we see with immigrants.

CACtain Planet

The Power is YOURS!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
CACness Aberdeen
This I was about to come in and say this it is probably no different then what we see with immigrants.

Naw cause slaves directly from west africa went through a "seasoning process" in which the slavers beat the shyt and brainwashed them for about 4 years in the Caribbean before they were even traded in mainland North and South America so id say it probably was after a generation

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Naw cause slaves directly from west africa went through a "seasoning process" in which the slavers beat the shyt and brainwashed them for about 4 years in the Caribbean before they were even traded in mainland North and South America so id say it probably was after a generation
:what: This is basically what I said u stay on some annoying shyt.

Retired Account

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx

Nah, most slaves went straight to their destination.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Link me to a source about this "seasoning".
How are different groups in the diasporia influenced by Africa differently if they all were "seasoned" together in the Caribbean?:jbhmm:
Not every slave was "seasoned" it depends on who bought them, where they came from, where they were going etc.

CACtain Planet

The Power is YOURS!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
CACness Aberdeen
Link me to a source about this "seasoning".
How are different groups in the diasporia influenced by Africa differently if they all were "seasoned" together in the Caribbean?:jbhmm:

Understanding Slavery said:
The next great hurdle for the captives involved another stage of separation. Almost from the moment the ships docked on the other side of the Atlantic, a majority of the Africans were organised into groups and taken off to be sold, although on some Caribbean islands, laws were passed that people could not be sold within 24 hours of landing.

Public auctions were the most common method of dispersal. However, there were also direct consignments, by which a plantation owner would previously have made arrangements with a merchant to bring enslaved people direct to their plantation, a given number of slaves per year.

Following disembarkation, auction blocks and holding pens were the centres of activity. Captives deemed unfit for sale were classed as 'refuse' and were either sold cheaply in groups or left to perish where they lay on the docks. Those to be sold were washed, shaved and rubbed with palm oil to disguise injuries sustained during the voyage.

Following their sale, through a process known as 'seasoning', the Africans were forced, often under torture, to accept identities suited to lifelong servitude. Having already been branded once in Africa, they would be branded a second time by their legal owners, who would also give them a Christian name. African practices and customs of all kinds were discouraged. Some captives already weakened by the horrors of the voyage committed suicide. Others died under the pressure of the 'seasoning'.

@God's Gift. All slaves in the transatlantic slave period were seasoned in the Carribean before being shipped off to colonies North and South America. This is what I was trying to convey to @hayesc0 which is why I was saying that you cant compare this shyt in no way to immigrants which is why I argue they lost their language and culture much differently compared to the average immigrant for we werent seen as immigrants we were cattle without identity in the white mans eyes