What's up with summer box office 2023?

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We don't have that water cooler movie like Top Gun Maverick was for summer 2022.

No one is talking about GotG, Fast X, that Pixar movie, Transformers or the Flash

It seems like Indiana Jones 5 is on course to be a flop.

To be fair We're only halfway through the summer box office

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
This was a crowded month. I think post-pandemic and the quick timeframe of theatrical films heading to streaming has made word of mouth more prevalent than before. People want to know they’re heading into a quality film before investing their time in sitting in a theater, and most of these films lately just haven’t justified such with the output.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This was a crowded month. I think post-pandemic and the quick timeframe of theatrical films heading to streaming has made word of mouth more prevalent than before. People want to know they’re heading into a quality film before investing their time in sitting in a theater, and most of these films lately just haven’t justified such with the output.
I look up and every week it's another tent pole movie dropping. I don't know who has time or money to watch a movie every week.

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
Is Box office still a thing?
On boxing fight nights coli brehs are begging for streams. :laugh:
even my old bones can find new films online these days.
I think the box/movie going is either for teens or parents with kids.
20-30 year old film watchers have giant, high quality entertainment systems in their cribs these days.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Spider-Man Spiderverse did pretty well, Super Mario did very well.. it takes something new or something that has a new spin to it to get people to the theaters these days.

Super Mario had never really had a big animated motion picture before the way they can do animation in the modern age. Spiderverse was a new type of animation style for western audiences and had a great story and was a sequel to a great movie.

The rest of the stuff that's come out has been viewed as either "can wait to see it" or "don't need to see it"

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is Box office still a thing?
On boxing fight nights coli brehs are begging for streams. :laugh:
even my old bones can find new films online these days.
I think the box/movie going is either for teens or parents with kids.
20-30 year old film watchers have giant, high quality entertainment systems in their cribs these days.
Avatar 2 just made over 2 billion worldwide
Top Gun Maverick and Spider-Man No Way Home were damn near close in the post lockdown era, so I would say it's still a thing

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mission impossible 7 is coming out soon, so let's see if Cruise can save cinema again.

Last edited:

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
Avatar 2 just made over 2 billion worldwide
Top Gun Maverick and Spider-Man No Way Home were damn near close in the post lockdown era, so I would say it's still a thing
Probably Hollywood marketing numbers to create excitement. Getting Hollywood accounting to pay taxes on those figures is another whole ball game.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
I wouldn't be surprised if 'Barbie' does well if it's a good movie. There's never been anything like it, young women and even some older women should enjoy it.
The amc Dolby early screening around my way is completely booked...lowkey surprised me...cause even the mi7 early screen isn't booked full yet

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wouldn't be surprised if 'Barbie' does well if it's a good movie. There's never been anything like it, young women and even some older women should enjoy it.
If you would havetold me a year ago that Barbie could possibly beat Indiana Jones 5 in a box office battle I would have looked at you crazy
Now it seems like it might possibly happen