What's the reasoning why Sony won't develop a solid FPS or TPS with multiplayer?

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
On PS3 we had MAG, Resistance, Killzone, and Socom. Honorable mention to Syphon Filter. RIP to Factions 2.

Did they not sell enough? The FPS & TPS genres are wide open right now.

There's 3rd party options, but they all follow the same formula. Fast paced area shooter or Battle Royal with tons of cosmetics and microtransaction stores. People eat that shyt up, but I'm looking for something old school. Rainbow Six was :ohlawd: when it first dropped, but sadly after year 4 I couldn't take it seriously.:beli:

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
A lot of effort and resources for something that is not guaranteed and a hard market to break into. They are releasing some moving forward though. They have Concord coming up, the Bungie game, and HellDivers 2

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
pretty sure he's talking about competitive multiplayer

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Every successful fps has some type of cross play.

Sony has been pretty anti cross play as a matter of practice.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
The FPS & TPS genres are wide open right now.

Not really. It's probably the most crowded genre of games.

To gain market share today a successful shooter today would need to pull players away from Warzone, Apex, Fortnite, CS, Valorant, Overwatch, Siege, Destiny, etc. Then you got all the niches like Tarkov, Hell Let Loose, ARMA, etc.

It's not a worthwhile endeavour unless you put in significant investment and adopt a live service model.

Jonah

XBOT Suicide Prevention Squad
Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
On PS3 we had MAG, Resistance, Killzone, and Socom. Honorable mention to Syphon Filter. RIP to Factions 2.

There's 3rd party options, but they all follow the same formula. Fast paced area shooter or Battle Royal with tons of cosmetics and microtransaction stores. People eat that shyt up, but I'm looking for something old school. Rainbow Six was :ohlawd: when it first dropped, but sadly after year 4 I couldn't take it seriously.:beli:
MAG is the main reason...

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

It's not what they do. I feel like they did those things to try and compete with Xbox but them becoming so dominate lead to them being able to focus on what they do best.

It's like if you win the lottery are you gonna keep working your same job or does that they free you up to do what you want with your life?

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
They could make more money off licensing a clank skin for fortnite than they would if they made their own thing.

I'm not going to sit here and act like I wouldn't buy a new syphon filter game using the engine that Uncharted 4 and last of us ran on.

Or that I wouldn't play a kill zone remake(it's been nearly 20 years since the first one dropped. It would literally be the perfect time to announce a remake for a game that ACTUALLY needs it)

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
They could make more money off licensing a clank skin for fortnite than they would if they made their own thing.

I'm not going to sit here and act like I wouldn't buy a new syphon filter game using the engine that Uncharted 4 and last of us ran on.

Or that I wouldn't play a kill zone remake(it's been nearly 20 years since the first one dropped. It would literally be the perfect time to announce a remake for a game that ACTUALLY needs it)
They have an ownership stake in Epic as well

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Still not sure why people are talking around the fact that sonys next big game is literally a multiplayer shooter :dahell:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Not really. It's probably the most crowded genre of games.

To gain market share today a successful shooter today would need to pull players away from Warzone, Apex, Fortnite, CS, Valorant, Overwatch, Siege, Destiny, etc. Then you got all the niches like Tarkov, Hell Let Loose, ARMA, etc.

It's not a worthwhile endeavour unless you put in significant investment and adopt a live service model.
Your simple sony stan mind doesnt even find the irony that you listed almost all brand new ips from companies that didnt have experience in that genre prior and are all successful :mjlol:

Which defeats most of the posts in here failed point theyre trying to make :mjlol:

Sony hasnt done it cause itll flop. Thats it.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Your simple sony stan mind doesnt even find the irony that you listed almost all brand new ips from companies that didnt have experience in that genre prior and are all successful :mjlol:

Which defeats most of the posts in here failed point theyre trying to make :mjlol:

Sony hasnt done it cause itll flop. Thats it.

That penthouse must be lonely huh :heh: