Whats The Purpose Of Scripting A Limited Series?

Blankthawtz

90-9-1 Principle
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Land of fukkery
just wanna know whats the point....u get all invested in the show if its really good and want more but they only make 10 eps and its over....why not just make it a movie?....:why:

there's a few limited series that i'm still tight they even made it a limited series.....:francis:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Authors write books without sequels and people read them all the time. Sometimes a story can be told in a handful of episodes and be perfectly succinct even though the audience may long for more.

Last edited:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Authors write books without sequels and people read them all the time. Sometimes a story can be told in handful of episodes and be perfectly succinct even though the audience may long for more.
Grand-Opening-Grand-Closing-710x300-crop.jpg

Blankthawtz

90-9-1 Principle
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Land of fukkery
Authors write books without sequels and people read them all the time. Sometimes a story can be told in handful of episodes and be perfectly succinct even though the audience may long for more.

A lot of the limited series we got blessed with recently were really open ended tho....Storyline was set up perfect for another season... but nope....

meh.... I just think its a horrible tease imo... :birdman:

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
just wanna know whats the point....u get all invested in the show if its really good and want more but they only make 10 eps and its over....why not just make it a movie?....:why:

there's a few limited series that i'm still tight they even made it a limited series.....:francis:
Because movies generally aren't 10 hours long

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I like what Fargo does, I liked what they did with The Sinner, some stories can't be told in 2 hours, but shouldn't last for 5 seasons either.

I binge watched the entire series of Damages the last year it aired. The show is really unique compared to other legal dramas that have unique cases each episode, while Damages has one major case for the entire season.

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
A lot of the limited series we got blessed with recently were really open ended tho....Storyline was set up perfect for another season... but nope....

I know what you mean but its better than sudden cancellations after a massive cliffhanger like they did with Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles. On some rare occasions they do a sequel like whats happening now with HBO's Big Little Lies.

Contrefaire

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
West Coast
Most of these shows are based on books (or some other source material) that only gave them so much content to work with. Still, some stories need more than 2 episodes (or a movie) but less than 2 seasons. When I was younger there were a bunch of limited/mini series (The Corner, John Adams, Into the West, etc) that told a complete story in the time they were allotted and were totally enjoyable.

Trying to eek out more episodes/seasons is what leads to an eventual drop in quality. This is exactly what I think is going to happen with 13 Reasons Why and possibly even Big Little Lies.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons

I feel you. I could see the potential for a second season for The Night Of, but at the same time I'm not one that feels everything needs answers. I think these series start out as projects that are right time right place kind of deals and based on public feedback, ratings, and interest on the parts of the creatives involved in making it, the door is always open for more seasons.

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
Mini/Limited series usually are able to get writers, actors, and directors who would never sign to be tied down to one show. They're also a good middle ground when it comes to budgets.