What’s the difference between 1080 Ultra and 4k medium to low?

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
What’s more important for the overall crispness of the image - resolution or the low/medium/ultra presets?

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Let’s see if developers patch games like Jedi: Fallen Order and Cyberpunk to 4k/60 and I might cop a Series X for multi plats :ehh:
Bruh, that is already a guaranteed done deal.
Jedi fallen order is 4k/30 on xbox one x, 4k/120 is an option. 60 guaranteed. With VRR I fully expect 90+.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Bruh, that is already a guaranteed done deal.
Jedi fallen order is 4k/30 on xbox one x, 4k/120 is an option. 60 guaranteed. With VRR I fully expect 90+.
As I understand it, while the X One X had plenty of GPU power it was bottlenecked by its CPU and was capped at 30 fps for most games at 4k. Could you explain how the Series X’s CPU is more powerful? Like, is there a comparable Intel desktop CPU for reference so I can get a better idea of what its packing. And how many times is it faster than the One X’s CPU?

Barney Rubble

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What’s more important for the overall crispness of the image - resolution or the low/medium/ultra presets?
The difference is four times as many pixels. Resolution is more important for overall crispness, but much more demanding to drive. Also, playing at a resolution lower than your monitor/tv's native resolution usually results in poor scaling. Basically, 1080p looks better on a native 1080p monitor than it does on a native 4k monitor.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
PowerlessBriefHoverfly-max-1mb.gif

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
The difference is four times as many pixels. Resolution is more important for overall crispness, but much more demanding to drive. Also, playing at a resolution lower than your monitor/tv's native resolution usually results in poor scaling. Basically, 1080p looks better on a native 1080p monitor than it does on a native 4k monitor.
So if I have a 4k monitor with a 60hz refresh rate, should I play on 4k low rather than 1080 ultra for best results?

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
As I understand it, while the X One X had plenty of GPU power it was bottlenecked by its CPU and was capped at 30 fps for most games at 4k. Could you explain how the Series X’s CPU is more powerful? Like, is there a comparable Intel desktop CPU for reference so I can get a better idea of what its packing. And how many times is it faster than the One X’s CPU?
Depends on what games you talking about, witcher 3 ran 4k/60, ditto with halo 5, gears 4 and 5. Ori. And third party games usually has these option of 4k or performance which was dynamic 4k/60 unless a dev locked a game at 30.

Those locks don't matter, especially in previous gen titles. And the series x will be able to play locked titles at higher frame rates from this gen. But to get all technical...
At the heart of Xbox Series X lies a custom-designed CPU founded on AMD's Zen 2 architecture. Previously behind chipsets fueling the Xbox One family, the leading U.S. manufacturer extends efforts via its latest processor technology. The Zen 2 family touts improved performance and efficiency, with Xbox Series X poised to deliver four times the CPU power of Xbox One X. With the current Xbox flagship heavily reliant on its GPU advancements, Scarlett's revamped system-on-chip (SoC) helps alleviate a primary bottleneck
So to answer your question, 4x :francis: but that's just off top. That doesn't include all the next gen features that makes it even more efficient than that. The deep dive recently went into it but I haven't seen the CPU breakdown outside of on another forum. All the PC heads on that site was impressed with everything they seen which made me go :manny: because before the dive the PC heads on that site acted like most do here. Now they on board. Like, the PC heads who learned the details are pro xbox series x saying the value cannot be matched in the PC space.

That means the narrative can change, why get something on PC when you can get it on series x

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Depends on what games you talking about, witcher 3 ran 4k/60, ditto with halo 5, gears 4 and 5. Ori. And third party games usually has these option of 4k or performance which was dynamic 4k/60 unless a dev locked a game at 30.

Those locks don't matter, especially in previous gen titles. And the series x will be able to play locked titles at higher frame rates from this gen. But to get all technical...

So to answer your question, 4x :francis: but that's just off top. That doesn't include all the next gen features that makes it even more efficient than that. The deep dive recently went into it but I haven't seen the CPU breakdown outside of on another forum. All the PC heads on that site was impressed with everything they seen which made me go :manny: because before the dive the PC heads on that site acted like most do here. Now they on board. Like, the PC heads who learned the details are pro xbox series x saying the value cannot be matched in the PC space.

That means the narrative can change, why get something on PC when you can get it on series x
Not a single positive comment on all this knowledge dropped too

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps

Yeah, but on PC performance scales automatically with better hardware, with no further tinkering by the developer. I’m asking if the Series X advantage will only be available to games going forward or does Microsoft have a deal with developers to go back to old titles (at least of the past two years) and enhance them like they did for the One X. Did Microsoft enhance those titles in-house or did they cut a check to the studios? How did they get the original Red Dead running at 4k? And how does the Series X’s machine learning affect older games?

Thanks for all the info, btw, appreciate it

Daps
Reppin
NULL
it depends on the game

some can you can turn shadows down to low and won't see any difference, and get extra frames so reason to run at ultra

some games you can turn textures to low it the game looks like south park

4k trumps 1080p, its not even close, I rather play 4k low then 1080p ultra, the clarity of the graphics is that big of difference

also you don't need anti aliasing when you running at 4k, all the jaggies are gone the picture is razor sharp, so again ultra is just a performance test, its not always the most optimal setting to run a game

4k with all the bells and whitsles turned up, is just icing on the cake

also it depends what screen you are using

if you have a 4k display 1080p is nothing gonna look good on, unless you are using TV that has great upscaling from 1080p signals

1080p screens of course and output 4k so you won't notice a difference anyway

only way to convince yourself is take one setup on 1080p screen and another on 4k right next to each other running the same game, then you will see there is a huge difference, 1080p would look like grainy as fukk

When if first got my gaming PC I had Mass Effect Andromeda which upcales to 4k with HDR on the PRO running on output 1 on my 4k TV and then had the PC game running on output 2 at 4k with HDR enabled with everything maxed out

The shyt was even close, the PRO looked like complete shyt so ultra textures and effects do make a huge difference

Last edited: