what's the best value for weights?

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
After a year of getting by off the barbell and weight plates I inherited, the time is approaching for me to purchase more weight plates and possibly a new barbell.

Imagine my surprise to see that weights are so expensive. I'll never understand how hunks of metal fan be worth so much, but I now know why people prefer to sign up for the gym lol. I'm not signing up for a gym though so I'll do what I gotta.

On Amazon I saw 255 pounds of weight plates for 470 bucks. Is this the range I should be expecting, or is there a more affordable price? Is there ever deals on black Friday? If so I'd be willing to wait.

Also how much can a regular barbell hold before it starts to bend in the middle? At what point would I need to get an Olympic sized one? Is 60 bucks for one a fair price?

Lastly, is there a device that can be attached to a bench (in my case a total gym) so I can put the barbell on it and spot myself? My total gym works fine as a bench but because there's no groove to put the bar I need to be spotted by someone which makes chest workout by dependent on if someone is around and if they can handle the weight I need to bench press.

Any links to good websites or advice would be great. Thanks breh, and no I am not signing up for a gym.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
From what I've heard, $1/lb is a good starting point. You should be able to find stuff on CL between $0.50-$1/lb.

As for self spotting, u mite want to think about getting a cage, and some wood to put under your bench to get the height perfect. That's what I plan to do, as well as not getting anywhere NEAR failure, or just having wifey spot me if need be.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
From what I've heard, $1/lb is a good starting point. You should be able to find stuff on CL between $0.50-$1/lb.

As for self spotting, u mite want to think about getting a cage, and some wood to put under your bench to get the height perfect. That's what I plan to do, as well as not getting anywhere NEAR failure, or just having wifey spot me if need be.

So basically that 255 pounds for 470 bucks would be a rip off and I should be paying no more than 260.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
So basically that 255 pounds for 470 bucks would be a rip off and I should be paying no more than 260.
I would say, yes

For example, check this out

http://www.dikkssportinggoods.com/p...=10793623&cp=4406646.4413887.4413986.12598195

That's 300lb with a 45lb barbell I think, for $210. You get another set of 45s, they will be $45 a pop from here. 390lbs for $320 or so... that is a pretty good deal for brand new plates

Buying weights online is crazy because they have to ship freight. That pretty much doubles the price. Might as well buy from a store or locally on CL and let someone else eat that shipping :yeshrug:

I'm putting a home gym together hopefully next year and have been doing my research.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I would say, yes

For example, check this out

http://www.dikkssportinggoods.com/p...=10793623&cp=4406646.4413887.4413986.12598195

That's 300lb with a 45lb barbell I think, for $210. You get another set of 45s, they will be $45 a pop from here. 390lbs for $320 or so... that is a pretty good deal for brand new plates

Buying weights online is crazy because they have to ship freight. That pretty much doubles the price. Might as well buy from a store or locally on CL and let someone else eat that shipping :yeshrug:

I'm putting a home gym together hopefully next year and have been doing my research.

That deal sounds incredible considering the prices I had been seenig. Thanks a lot man. I am considering buying this. I just gotta be careful about this chemical I hear is on some of the weights that can cause birth defects in children since I want to have some Versa Jr's and Versaette's down the line God willing.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
That deal sounds incredible considering the prices I had been seenig. Thanks a lot man. I am considering buying this. I just gotta be careful about this chemical I hear is on some of the weights that can cause birth defects in children since I want to have some Versa Jr's and Versaette's down the line God willing.
dikk's sporting goods is always the best place to go to buy weights. If u have a local store near by,go there. That have amazing combo deals