What's considered excessive cardio ?

Daps
Every weightlifting or body building forum I always see people say that too much cardio is a bad thing and it makes you lose to much muscle, or you shouldn't go over 30 minutes cause it takes away from gains. I'm only asking because I have to up my cardio to run this marathon with my mom.

How do guys like Reggie bush, Odell beckham and Adrian Peterson maintain that muscular physique when you know they have to do tons cardio considering the position they play. Obviously they're professional athletes but how can you not lose muscle with doing tons of cardio like those guys

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Well the term cardio is a broad term but I would imagine you mean steady state. Bush, Beckham, Peterson and those guys aren't likely going out and running 10Ks. There "cardio" is likely some mix of HIIT, sprints and strength and conditioning. Ultimately those methods help build strength and muscle when combined with proper diet.

Daps
Well the term cardio is a broad term but I would imagine you mean steady state. Bush, Beckham, Peterson and those guys aren't likely going out and running 10Ks. There "cardio" is likely some mix of HIIT, sprints and strength and conditioning. Ultimately those methods help build strength and muscle when combined with proper diet.

That makes sense because HIIT is how I dropped fat without burning muscle in the first place .

I guess I'll take my loss training for this marathon then pick it back up when it's over

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Negus be full of shyt breh. Cardio is like the fruits and veggies to the meat of lifting.

You searched for cardio • Strengtheory

I have been making gains in a cut doing 2-3 hours a week of moderate to hard cardio (120-150BPM average). shyt gives me stamina in (and out of :shaq: ) the gym, makes cutting a breeze and keeps me from getting fat during bulks. I can't recommend cardio enough.

There's definitely limits to the shyt, but it's individual and you gotta find your own. If I had more time and lifting wasn't a priority I would do more cardio. Maybe when I'm like 50-60 I will cut back on lifting and vary my physical activity. But right now its all about them gains. 30 minutes though :comeon: Cardio won't kill you brehs I'm living proof.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Every weightlifting or body building forum I always see people say that too much cardio is a bad thing and it makes you lose to much muscle, or you shouldn't go over 30 minutes cause it takes away from gains. I'm only asking because I have to up my cardio to run this marathon with my mom.

How do guys like Reggie bush, Odell beckham and Adrian Peterson maintain that muscular physique when you know they have to do tons cardio considering the position they play. Obviously they're professional athletes but how can you not lose muscle with doing tons of cardio like those guys

when i was a trainer we never used the term excessive but the term obsessive. obsessive cardio are those people that get on the treadmill for like 4 hours. general cardio isn't going to hurt or hinder your progress. the only thing you have to look at is your intensity and your duration. If your dancing or something you can be going for an 1, 2 hours so it makes sense, if your trying to lose weight, you might be doing cardio thats intense, higher heart rate, intervals like insanity--i dont know how long those workouts are but probably not more than an hour.

if you're eating right you can still maintain and build muscle while not getting fat. its tough but it can be done. eat enough protein which feeds the muscles, enough carbs and healthy fats for energy basically your body is going to have enough of the nutrients needed to maintain i.e not go into a deficit, and enough to repair itself.

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
Before most everyone was lazy and sedentary people were hunting, carrying food, water, simply traveling etc sometimes for many miles down them hot ass roads in southern heat.

Ask them "do you consider your output excessive?"

That term is from trainers who want to sell people one size fits all programming to people. Your body will tell YOU what's excessive.

I currently do the stair master 45 mins 6 days a week first thing in the AM and often times I'll run after my lift, not dead, no injuries, blood work etc looks good that works for me.

Don't let bro scientists make you not see what your body is capable of

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was gonna say if you black, we usually built more robust and can generally withstand more physical exertion so you gotta take the articles with that in mind.

I hit the jump ropes hard for an hour and then go to the gym a couple hours after. Doesnt affect my lifts what so ever

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Before most everyone was lazy and sedentary people were hunting, carrying food, water, simply traveling etc sometimes for many miles down them hot ass roads in southern heat.

Ask them "do you consider your output excessive?"

That term is from trainers who want to sell people one size fits all programming to people. Your body will tell YOU what's excessive.

I currently do the stair master 45 mins 6 days a week first thing in the AM and often times I'll run after my lift, not dead, no injuries, blood work etc looks good that works for me.

Don't let bro scientists make you not see what your body is capable of

I was gonna say if you black, we usually built more robust and can generally withstand more physical exertion so you gotta take the articles with that in mind.

I hit the jump ropes hard for an hour and then go to the gym a couple hours after. Doesnt affect my lifts what so ever

I think he's concerned about the amount and duration. I know cats that play a game of basketball to warm up for a basketball game. Its not too much, gets them warm. Excessive cardio are those cats that run on the treadmill for like 4-5 hours like everyday. Its possible to work in a routine if you are running a marathon or something, but there are cats who will go on a crash diet eating close to 1000 calories if that but then run on a treadmill for hours. Its not healthy.

Actors commonly do it for a role, but regular people may try it because of that but instead of adjusting or going to a better weight they keep going, they dont know when to stop and if they dont eventually die then will spring back to their original weight and other times more.