What’s a team in sports that’s regarded as an all time great that didn’t feel like it when you watched in real time?

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
For example with the Celtics this year there’s a huge discussion about where they thank in the pantheon of greatest teams of the last 25 years or ever. Stats were shown putting them in this tier but the main criticism against them is that they didn’t “feel” like an all time great team when people watched them.

Is there any team in sports that you feel this about?

O.iatlhawksfan

Devoted Joel Embiid hater
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
2020 bama was a good team but some try to say they were the greatest team in the playoff era while I don’t even they were Saban’s greatest team ever

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
The 2002 Buccaneers were heralded as at the very least an all-time great defense but I think what hurt them in my eyes was that we just saw the 2000 Ravens a couple years prior so maybe I don't fully appreciate the Bucs because of that.

Also, This year's Celtics had an all time great season by every metric... people can feel how they want but numbers are still numbers.

Juggalo Fred

Juggalo and horrorcore enthusiast
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Juggalo island
The 2002 Buccaneers were heralded as at the very least an all-time great defense but I think what hurt them in my eyes was that we just saw the 2000 Ravens a couple years prior so maybe I don't fully appreciate the Bucs because of that.

Also, This year's Celtics had an all time great season by every metric... people can feel how they want but numbers are still numbers.

Imagine thinking a 64-18 team who went 16-3 in the playoffs without their 3rd best player most of the games wasn't an all time great team :lolbron:

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Retrospective All time great team?

For me it comes down to a couple of things.

What did they win?
How long was the peak for?
What was the Playing Style?
Did they evolve/innovative the game?