What's a soulful British person supposed to sound like?

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
Like Sam Smith, Adele and many of these British R&B / Soul singers basically sing in a southern blaccent. I guess from listening to R&B / Soul music but that's not their real accent.

It must be difficult to try to phrase your words in an accent that is different while singing.

What would a great British singer sound like without altering their accent?

RehReh

đź–¤GhettoEmpressđź–¤
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
Sade

Was the lead singer mimicking as well?
Shirley Bassey?

I don't think so, they have good diction and annunciation, not all English singers sound and talk like Amy whinehouse

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
I don't agree some stuff in this video but I will post.

They are trying to say the American accent is neutral but all Americans don't sing with same accent.

Last edited:

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
Sade

Was the lead singer mimicking as well?
Shirley Bassey?

I don't think so, they have good diction and annunciation, not all English singers sound and talk like Amy whinehouse
Sade is a good example. She doesn't change her accent as much.

She pronounces words like she would normally pronounce them I guess.

For example,
American = ruler
UK = rulah

You can tell she isn't American when she sings. Verse Soul 2 Soul kinda sound ambiguous, too many ( er's ). I personally like when singers don't change their accents.

Shirley Bassey is a good one too.

Last edited:

Ria_21

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Yorkshire
Great question. I used to sometimes think about this myself :ohhh: why do us brits sound so american when we sing :skip: even when i sing karaoke an american accent comes out of nowhere :pachaha:a bad one at that.

What about corinne bailey rae? I can hear both the british/american accent when she sings.

Last edited:

Ria_21

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Yorkshire
Lily Allen and Kate nash are the only two british singers i can think of who sound more british than american when they sing

Ms.CuriousCat

All Star
Daps
I won't put my hands up and surrender, there will be no white flag above my door. I'm in love and always will be....

Dido is a Brit and sounds like one to my ears.

Not sure if Nora Jones sounds like one.

There was a boy group that sounded proper Northern. Can't remember their name. The something...