Whats a good style of bike to buy?

mcellas

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Miami
I recently moved now I'm like 2 miles away from my job and I had a good idea of just riding a bike to work for extra cardio I haven't rode a bike since my teens and now there are so many different styles of bikes now I just need a Lil help picking one thanks in advance

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Well, if you are just going to work and back, then get whatever you want. It will probably suck when it's raining though.

Stoop Kid

I think i can
Daps
Reppin
ps 118
i wanna buy a single speed bike, but idk what brands are the most reliable... anyone know anything about these?

El_Diablo__61213_zoom-1000x800.jpg

M617

retired
Supporter
Daps
get a mountain bike with tires that can go on both road and dirt. you will have the ability to change gears for hills and shyt and the ride will be comfy and go faster than you think

DSGB

Pro
Daps
Just completed my first ride this morning. I was told a good starter bike is a hybrid or comfort hybrid (bigger seat and softer ride). You want to be able to change gears unless your ride is dead flat. Even a slight incline/decline makes the gears worth it.

Go to a bike shop and rent a bike ($5-10) and your bike will jump out at you.

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
2 miles isnt that far...so I would get whatever you feel. A mountain bike will be OK, its just going to be slow as shyt.
I have a Cyclocross (Hybrid) & a Road bike.

Cop a bike off Craigslist. You'll get an idea of what you like, and dont like.
No need in spending a lot of money on your first one.

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
Bump-

I'm thinking about copping this Schwinn. It'll be my 1st bike and it's just for exercise purposes.

@beaniemac I know you bike a lot. This is cool right?

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Bump-

I'm thinking about copping this Schwinn. It'll be my 1st bike and it's just for exercise purposes.

@beaniemac I know you bike a lot. This is cool right?

man, I actually have two trek bikes. I got them both used off craigslist. Man, just try the bike out. if it is the right size and you're comfortable, then go for it. I haven't really biked that much since it's winter. too cold for that shyt.

CSquare43

Superstar
Daps
I want one too, this is the brand i've been lookin into: https://www.purefixcycles.com/collections/standard-fixies

PureFix makes a good product and they're a good peoples. These single speeds bikes like this aren't top of the line bikes, but are a good value and as long as you take good care of it they will be fine for the average rider.

My only recommendation to anyone looking for a single/fixie is to be very careful if you decide to go the fixie route. If you haven't ridden one it can be tricky at first.

Brooklynzson

Just a kid from Brooklyn
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Coli
PureFix makes a good product and they're a good peoples. These single speeds bikes like this aren't top of the line bikes, but are a good value and as long as you take good care of it they will be fine for the average rider.

My only recommendation to anyone looking for a single/fixie is to be very careful if you decide to go the fixie route. If you haven't ridden one it can be tricky at first.
Yeah, I hear a lot of good things about them & the bikes aren't expensive.

I have't ridden one yet but it shouldn't be to hard for me to master, I'm nice on bikes.

CSquare43

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, I hear a lot of good things about them & the bikes aren't expensive.

I have't ridden one yet but it shouldn't be to hard for me to master, I'm nice on bikes.

Fixies can be fun, you just have to understand that those pedals aren't ever going to stop spinning (until you stop). So if you're the "let me coast for awhile" kind of rider, then you'll want to use the freewheel option instead. That works like any other bike where you can pedal/coast when you want to.

I have ridden a fixie before, but prefer the freewheel option.

Brooklynzson

Just a kid from Brooklyn
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Coli
Fixies can be fun, you just have to understand that those pedals aren't ever going to stop spinning (until you stop). So if you're the "let me coast for awhile" kind of rider, then you'll want to use the freewheel option instead. That works like any other bike where you can pedal/coast when you want to.

I have ridden a fixie before, but prefer the freewheel option.
I'ma give it a try, if i don't like it I can always swap out the fixed gear and throw on some brakes.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
First of all best place to get a bike IMO is Bikesdirect.com

Lets be honest with ourselves... we are not going to be riding on dirt trails or in the rain. Ive done both and they suck. Plus they would leave u all nasty for work

Even though your commute is only 2 miles, u might eventually want to ride more, which requires comfort. So a bike with comfy ergonomics is key.

I bought wifey a bike last year, and I'm kicking myself for not getting this one. It's a crazy bargain and prob the best $300 you can spend on an all purpose road bike.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/avenue_b.htm

Just make sure u get ur size right and get it assembled if u dont know how (its pretty damn simple though)

Im probably gonna sell my road bike and get this. They are great bikes for casual riders.