"What Up ****": Why **** Is Short For Richard

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Apparently ONE impetus in the letter swapping at that particular time was a dislike amongst the native English for the harsh Norman French "r". (Note how many nicknames made substitions for r's -- not only at the beginning of words [Richard, Robert], but in the middle or at the end of them -- Mary > Molly, Sarah > Sally/Sadie, Dorothy > Dolly [or just eliminating the R - "Dottie"]; Harold/Harry > Hal. (Though in this position the substition of L for R --a rather understandable one-- is most common, even hear you find the use of D as in "Sadie".)

My suggestion for the SPECIFIC letter changes is that SOME of them were based on sounds related to the original ones. (There is, for instance, a connection between the W and B sounds [of Will/Bill] --just note how you put your lips in almost the same position to say them. Similarly for M > P) Other nicknames could then formed by analogy with these forms, using the same letters. I don't know precisely how close "d" was to the Norman "r", but if we heard it that specific subsitution might make a lot of sense. (The use of "h" --Hick, Hob, Hodge-- almost sounds like an attempt to get rid of the initial sound entirely!)

:ohhh: