What makes a good story

Daps
i have a friend who trying to write his first piece of fiction and while the story is good he wants to make it great. So hes been asking everybody in our group to give him tips on how to make it better. My question what are the keys to a story that put it over the top in your opinion. I dont read books as often as I used to, all I remember was that if the character was interesting I was along for the whole ride in the story.

But what puts it over the top in your opinion?

Daps
lol I should have known if I could just get one good comment in this thread...Not gonna lie though I lol'd

MAKAVELI25

the heir apparent
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang
Interesting multi-faceted characters- The good guys shouldn't be purely good, the villains shouldn't be purely bad. There's a reason Batman is so popular and Captain America is one of the most boring superheros ever.

^^Drawing from above- A great villain. Someone that is legitimately scary but also fascinating. The perfect example is the Joker from TDK(sorry to keep bringing up Batman). Someone who is a legitimate threat to society, but at the same time, the villain should have a somewhat rational motivation to have what he/she is doing. "Because I'm evil" just isn't all that interesting

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
you need to mentally make the reader go

stid-tv6a-10.jpg