What Is Your Most Awkward Spotting Story

Exiled Martian

Was young I couldn't do good, now I can't do Bad
Daps
Reppin
Swag-hili Shores
True story : So this geeza comes over to me and asks for a spot...I said yea cool & proceed to follow my man.....to the fukkin hammer strength vertical bench. I said "are you serious?" and walked away straight....:aicmon:

What's even even sadder is these PT's in my gym "spot" each other on the hammer strength machines all the time. They basically overload it with plates and then the other guy helps pull them up, it's sort of like doing forced negatives but more like one guy pressing while the other guy curls the same weight.:dahell:

If you've witnessed/ experienced some truly atrocious spotting add on in this thread fam

OSUBaneBrowns

Ohio to California
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Long Beach, CA
Only one I can think of is those way too active spotters that be pushing the bar up for you, then when you call them out on it they like "Nah bruh that was all you" :comeon:

I had this issue this morning at the gym. I asked this guy if he can spot me while I try to lift 305 on the bench. I told him to help me lift it off on 3 and do not help me unless I said so. He just nooded his head and said OK.

• When I counted to 3, he didn't help me lift it off and I had to do it myself :wtb:
  • When I started to come up with the weight, he grabbed the bar when I started to hit the half way point back to the top of the rack :aicmon:
  • When I told him that I had it, he didn't let go of the bar completely and I said fukked it and finished the rep :upsetfavre:
  • After that he just gave me the :merchant: face and bounce.
And this is one of the main reason that I can't max out at my gym because a lot of these jackasses cannot spot properly when asked. :snoop::pacspit::to:

Last edited:

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
One cac dropping sweat in my eye while spotting me and then on next rep had the weight uneven on the bar.:stopitslime:

﹏﹏⛴﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌
Supporter
Daps
One cac dropping sweat in my eye while spotting me and then on next rep had the weight uneven on the bar.:stopitslime:
:laff: That's messed up about the sweat. As soon as you lift that uneven weight up= :what::what:
I just tell people I ask to spot to let me fail if I don't get. Simple with no gray area. Got tired of the bad spotting. Especially that two-hand tap garbage.

Exiled Martian

Daps
Reppin
Swag-hili Shores

:scusthov: That is some unfortunate nastiness fam... or ever had:

The roided Guy spotting you on bench & my manz crotch is pretty much over my face on lift off as he screams' Your BAR' with his plums right above your forehead smh :damn:

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
"Only help out if i've 100% failed"

Proceeds to spot every rep smh.

I once almost let off a sweat drop on a dudes face. Don't ask me to spot you straight after a hypertrophy squat session

Soundwave

No Known Weaknesses
Supporter
Daps
Back when I was maybe a year or so into lifting, I was doing military presses and a dude comes over to me and asks if I can spot him on the bench press. I kind of waffled on it, and he took that as me not wanting to help him. It wasn't that I didn't want to help him, but he was (still is) much bigger than I am, and I didn't think I was strong enough to do it. It was more about me than him :mjcry:

Exiled Martian

Daps
Reppin
Swag-hili Shores
Back when I was maybe a year or so into lifting, I was doing military presses and a dude comes over to me and asks if I can spot him on the bench press. I kind of waffled on it, and he took that as me not wanting to help him. It wasn't that I didn't want to help him, but he was (still is) much bigger than I am, and I didn't think I was strong enough to do it. It was more about me than him :mjcry:

If only he knew you were just keeping it 100...... on some 'Its not you its Me' cliche:wow:

Yea man I feel you fam.... when the gym monsters asks you to pass him that 140Lbs DB for incline presses after you've just fried your lower back doing deficit deadzzzz :sadcam:

Last edited:

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
I always make my friends finish failed reps most I will do is guide it up by evening the bar