What is this line I see on peoples noses?

InGodWeTrust

Tall & Handsome in ATL
Daps
This is NOT meant to be offensive.

All my life I've met so many friends and randoms that have this line across their nose and never knew what was the cause or if they noticed it. As a lighter breh, I've noticed it's been on some of my darker people.

What is the cause?

JFP06602_4.JPG

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mississauga
https://www.mdedge.com/familymedicine/article/130554/dermatology/dark-line-across-nose

Same exact picture is shown in the site

A 34-year-old woman sought care from her family physician (FP) because she was concerned about a dark line across her nose that had been there for the past few years. (Her daughter recently asked her what it was, which prompted the visit.) The patient acknowledged that she had the atopic triad—dermatitis, allergic rhinitis, and asthma—but indicated that things were relatively well-controlled. However, the FP noted that the patient was rubbing her nose while discussing her history.

The FP recognized the dark line on the patient’s face as a hyperpigmented horizontal nasal crease based on the fact that she had the atopic triad and repeatedly wiped her nose in an upward motion (an “allergic salute”) whenever her nose felt itchy. There is no specific treatment for a hyperpigmented horizontal nose crease, except to help control the allergic rhinitis. It also helps to control any atopic dermatitis, which can lead to pruritus.

The patient was happy to know the cause of the condition and did not request treatment for the cosmetic aspect of it. For patients who want treatment, a good place to start is with an over-the-counter 3% hydroquinone bleaching agent, along with 1% hydrocortisone cream. (These can both be applied twice daily.)

The FP in this case also recommended sun protection and sun avoidance to avoid further darkening of the hyperpigmented crease.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
The website of that pic said it’s because of the way she rubs her nose and she has the atopic triad (asthma, eczema, and allergies). Those things cause her to rub her nose in an upward motion constantly. It’s most likely exacerbated by the eczema.

• Dap
Reactions: TEH

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I used to get it when I was younger from the way I pressed my nose when I was cleaning it of whiteheads