What does the word "Cultured" mean to you and why?

Ty Daniels

All Star
Daps
Context is key.

"Cultured" 9 Times Out Of 10, usually means you have knowledge about shyt that primarily pertains to White Folks.

"Classical" Music, Opera, European Painters/Artists, European Foods Etc...

It typically is some Bullshyt, that implies that there is a level of "superiority" to "European Culture".

On the flip side, if you are knowledge about Jazz, Black Renaissance writers and Painters, Differences in regional Black Cuisines (or even diasporic) etc...
Those same people would NOT call you "Cultured", SMH!

Last edited:

Seoul Gleou

Veteran
Daps
Someone capable of speaking to anyone from anywhere about anything on a deep and meaningful level.

If a person can give you a soliloquy on Rumi, spill tea on Ice Spice, then talk about the time they were in Gambia and ate amazing jollof, that is a cultured person.

They know a lot about everything and can relate to almost everyone

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
I was just thinking about the idea of being cultured. What it used to mean to say my grandparents , my parents or other older black folks I know. What does it mean to you?

Does someone know the words to "Lift Every Voice and Sing?"

Yes - cultured
No - guttersnipe, riff raff, trash, lumpen proletariat

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Context is key.

"Cultured" 9 Times Out Of 10, usually means you a knowledge about shyt that primarily pertains to White Folks.

"Classical" Music, Opera, European Painters/Artists, European Foods Etc...

It typically is some Bullshyt, that implies that there is a level of "superiority" to "European Culture".

On the flip side, if you are knowledge about Jazz, Black Renaissance writers and Painters, Differences in regional Black Cuisines (or even diasporic) etc...
Those same people would NOT call you "Cultured", SMH!
Idk about that. I had a chick view me as cultured because a friend of mine told her I was a jazz fan. ( Really it's bebop)

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Someone capable of speaking to anyone from anywhere about anything on a deep and meaningful level.

If a person can give you a soliloquy on Rumi, spill tea on Ice Spice, then talk about the time they were in Gambia and ate amazing jollof, that is a cultured person.

They know a lot about everything and can relate to almost everyone

This is the best answer.

Ty Daniels

All Star
Daps
Idk about that. I had a chick view me as cultured because a friend of mine told her I was a jazz fan. ( Really it's bebop)

That is why I said "Context" matters.

"Cultured" to Black Folks, means different things than "Cultured" to White Folks.

A person can be "Cultured" in the multiple facets of the Black Experience(s).
That same person would not be considered "Cultured" to "Mainstream" AKA White Society.

That is why I say 9 times out of ten, the person is typically talking about knowledge about aspects of "European" culture.

Last edited:

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Not gonna lie this is exactly what I mean.

I do find it hilarious that the drill rappers and fans have put a new spin on "the culture".

As for context, nobody Black is gonna get on you for not knowing Matisse or Beethoven.

Culture is always about "high" black culture. (which was yesteryear's "low" black culture)