What did you think of American Gangster (2007)?

DonDadda

All Star
Daps
So Frank Lucas tells his brother to tone down his wardrobe game because its too loud but then wears a massive chinchilla coat to a public sports event? :mindblown:

How well was this movie received when it first release?

Daps
Reppin
Chi
A solid classic...8/10 I'd give it. Has a dark vibe that's dope. I particularly recall a scene where I believe the Lucas family is have a lavish party and it's contrasted with the dark/gritty fiends shooting up in the hood and the damage their business has caused the neighborhood. I also liked how they showed the law enforcement officer who was offended at the idea that a black man/black organized crime group could bypass the italian mafia for importation and distribution. Shows that even the LE would be more willing of criminality if it's by their "peers" rather than a black operation.

There's very little drag for the long almost 3 hour run time. Could've done with out the Russel Crow familial issues but I guess they needed that to show his character further...

I feel that they made Russel's character a little too perfect and law abiding. Would've been nice to see him bend the rules or break them some more rather than the only flaw (that I can recall) being his womanizing and alcoholism. I feel like it would've shown a more realistic approach if he had done something more "wrong" and had to make up for it in some way.

Not my favorite gangster movie but it's def a classic and very rewatchable.

Smashius Clay

The Millennium Brotha I Be
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Perpetual World Traveler
This shyt takes place in an alternate universe where you can put one in somebody's dome then go and enjoy your eggs, where character's entire personalities change, where you talk shyt to the mafia in their own house without starting a war, and where supercops exist.

:duck:

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
So Frank Lucas tells his brother to tone down his wardrobe game because its too loud but then wears a massive chinchilla coat to a public sports event? :mindblown:

How well was this movie received when it first release?

He only wore it because his wife bought it and wanted him to where it. He knew it would bring attention to him and it did. And then he burned it.