What Can Black People Do To Combat the "Whitewashing" Of Black Music?

Daps
They can't whitewash our music if there weren't black people willing to sell away our culture for butter biscuits. Too often, our problems stem from traitors within our ranks who value a seat at table of white supremacy instead of contributing to a thriving community of our own. Deal with them and the rest is history.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
:patrice:my definition of white washing is completely different from these examples

The problem is that everyone has their own definition of whitewashing for the purpose of complaint,
rather than fostering any solutions.

So we say that Michael Jackson working with Paul McCartney isn't "whitewashing," but then a non-black kid grows up inspired by their partnership, singing both Michael's and Paul's music very capably, gets signed by the white execs at Atlantic Records.

His music becomes a success on iHeart Radio, iTunes, YouTube and Spotify (all white owned/controlled platforms), and he becomes a platinum artist, esp. with 12-24 suburban white, Asian and Hispanic girls.

His career rises above many contemporary black artists of the same age, who's music references don't seem to go farther back than Lil Wayne (which limits their appeal among even black audiences of all age ranges).

What process will prevent a non-black artist from being inspired by the entire history of American pop
music, which now goes back farther than Louis Armstrong and Scott Joplin?

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
EDIT: actually I'm changing my stance.

• Wasn't Whitney on crack when that happened? And it showed?
  • Unless you're talking about MJ bleaching his face and doing that, it sounds like the opposite.
  • Yeah, that's definitely whitewashing by your definition and just whitewashing in general.
  • That sounds like a white boy who earned his place in hip-hop.

- Whitney was on crack her entire life; before she even got a deal.

- MJ suffered from vitiligo and had his face, arms, and chest depigmented. His legs were very spotted which is why he always wore pants

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Also stop caring about the Grammys stop giving them racist your energy and time. They don't deserve it. Soon people will figure that out.

Underrated post. I'd love to see the day when there's a Grammys and not one Black person in attendance. Or at the very least a noticeable amount of Black artists missing. And when Black artists are asked prior to the Grammys whether they're attending and why not, they'll be on code and say they had prior obligations as opposed to say they're protesting. Ohhh, what I wouldn't give to see that happen.

Pipe dream though.

This.

Dumb ass nikkaz like Kanye giving a damn about the Grammys gave them credibility.

If people knew that the Grammys only showed fraudulent Hip-Hop, then it would allow us to have our own spaces. But those clown ass nikkaz want that crossover dollar, so they lend their credibility to the MTV awards, Grammys, AMAs, etc. . .

I have no issue with Bruno Mars. He let it be known who inspired him and what his influences are, which are BLACK artists.

The problem I have is Blacks being so eager to collaborate with whites who don't really give a damn about our music they try to use us for.

When I heard Justin Bieber singing over the Wu Tang Clan Ain't Nuthin ta fukk With beat, I coulda slapped the shyt outta Kanye and Raekwon

Exactly

EDIT: actually I'm changing my stance.

• Wasn't Whitney on crack when that happened? And it showed?
  • Unless you're talking about MJ bleaching his face and doing that, it sounds like the opposite.
  • Yeah, that's definitely whitewashing by your definition and just whitewashing in general.
  • That sounds like a white boy who earned his place in hip-hop.

Whitney was "America's Sweetheart" still when that shyt happened.

- Whitney was on crack her entire life; before she even got a deal.

- MJ suffered from vitiligo and had his face, arms, and chest depigmented. His legs were very spotted which is why he always wore pants

Whitney was not on crack her whole life. :russ:

Daps
So Bruno Mars wins a bunch of Grammys from the Recording Academy and NOW we're supposed to be
concerned about the "whitewashing" of black music?

OK.

Its too late.

Why weren't we worried about whitewashing when Elton John played Bennie and the Jets on Soul Train?

giphy.gif

Why weren't we worried about whitewashing when Whitney was signed by Clive?

clive-davis-whitney-houston-1983-450a081909.jpeg

Why weren't we worried about whitewashing when Michael made Say, Say, Say with a Beatle?

ThrillerStudio.png

Why weren't we worried about whitewashing when the founder of NWA signed a white rapper out of Detroit?

Screen-Shot-2017-07-12-at-1.47.31-PM.png

I'm not entirely sure what your point is..I would like to know tho

Donald Trumps Twitter

Divine Infinite Commander King
Daps
Reppin
Space Force 1
The mainstream is all theirs now, every popular black artist, is really popping because they’re hot in the burbs, they’re pitchfork and complex magazine hot.

support the shyt that “they” don’t care about and don’t understand, even if you have to force yourself to try to get it - expand your minds beyond street shyt:

Nothing happens overnight, but if we start making these type of artists popular again, we can counter what the mainstream is doing

This is straight fire

Smh let chance the rapper make that and it would have 80million views

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
The best thing black people can do, is start a new genre of music every generation like we used to do.
You give cacs hiphop for 40 years straight, they will figure out a way to whitewash it.

Our great-grandparents listened to blues & Jazz. Our Grandparents listened to disco and soul music Our Parents listened to Funk and Pop
We listened to Hip-hop & R&B, Our kids are listening to hip-hop & Pop, and our grandkids are going to grow up listening to hip-hop and pop too. Something is wrong with that. No more Evolution

We overdo for the next generation of black musical innovators.
In fact i would say black music isn't whitewashed. It's just washed at this point.

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
We can't. Capitalism is going to Capitalism and we're only 11% of the population. If we spoke a different language then maybe