What Can Black People Do To Combat the "Whitewashing" Of Black Music?

Hagendas

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
OP don’t you stan Eminem so you are supporting the whitewashing of Black music

ReturnOfJudah

Veteran
Daps
Some cac at my place of employment had one of these Pop radio stations on recently. Ol ass TLC Waterfalls comes on and they cut out Left-Eye's rapping part...which seemed a little odd to me...
:mjpls: Then another song came on...can't remember which song it was...but I know it featured a rapper's verse....cut out...:mjpls: My point being is as usual....blacks are always so eager to invite cacs into their environment whereas cacs constantly show they don't want nothin to do wit u...wanna use to make a buck off u...or appropriate u somehow. Its sad... :mjpls:
I was at LifeTime fitness and over the loud speaker they played classic r&b & modern hip hop songs that’s redone by CACs. It’s like a grown version of kid’s bop. shyt had me furious :scust:

Kairi Irving

Here Comes A New Challenger
Daps
The popular black artists have to be openly pro black in there songs

Drake
Kendrick Lamar
Jay Z
Beyonce
Rihanna

Etc have to literally say some im black and proud type of shyt regularly in songs, itll make non blacks umcomfortable...all starts with the top artists, rest will follow.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
The saddest part about it all is that Bruno Mars makes dope music and G Eazy has a club anthem right now. Outside of the typical household name rappers (Jay, Kendrick, Drake, Cole, Migos) nobody is making an effort to standout from the competition. Hip hop is competitive by nature yet no one cares about being the best MC anymore or best DJ. No one gets called out for biting any more. There's no standard that new rappers are held to. There's always been wack rappers but the game weeded them out in no time. I will say that its already too late for hip hop to be completely white washed tho

R&B is in real bad shape. Nobody grows up singing in the church anymore so they don't know how to properly sing. Also gospel is a lucrative genre in itself so those that do still grow up singing don't feel the need to make secular music anymore. Nobody grows up dreaming of being in R&B groups and forming their own little groups practicing their routines and shyt. Its real obvious when you see these cats like Bryson Tiller and partynextdoor perform live. These cats flat out cant sing which is the whole purpose of R&B to begin with. And miss me in advance with the whole bs argument that there is still great R&B being made. I get that but we shouldn't have to search high and low for good music. It should be force fed to us like it used to be

Last edited:

kwazzy100

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
The thing about Eminem is...there can't BE another Eminem. There can be other Asher Roths, post malons, more Iggy Azealias, more Lil Pumps because those kind of rappers are expendable. You guys like to shyt on Eminem, but if you listen to his music, he gives mad respect to Hip-Hop legends like Pac, Biggie, Bust Rhymes, Rakim, Redman, Kurupt, Jay Z, and Nas. Eminem had a style most whites couldn't obtain, that what made him stood out. He was a lyricist inspired by black lyricists. But now we live in a era where lyricism is slowly dying in Hip-hop. You don't need deep or complex bars to make a hot song anymore. White people look at songs by Lil Wayne, Soulja Boi, Young Thug, etc and they can imitate them easily. Honestly, it isn't just white people doing black music, it's black rappers that do less songs about black empowerment and black struggle but they'll mostly rap about clubbing, getting high, and fukking hoes. With loud and obnoxious trap beats, everyone will listen to it and don't question it. Whites can easily do that, but they can't do what Eminem did. That's why Rap is becoming like Rock.

We should take back Rock since whites aren't listening to it as much

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
The thing about Eminem is...there can't BE another Eminem. There can be other Asher Roths, post malons, more Iggy Azealias, more Lil Pumps because those kind of rappers are expendable. You guys like to shyt on Eminem, but if you listen to his music, he gives mad respect to Hip-Hop legends like Pac, Biggie, Bust Rhymes, Rakim, Redman, Kurupt, Jay Z, and Nas. Eminem had a style most whites couldn't obtain, that what made him stood out. He was a lyricist inspired by black lyricists. But now we live in a era where lyricism is slowly dying in Hip-hop. You don't need deep or complex bars to make a hot song anymore. White people look at songs by Lil Wayne, Soulja Boi, Young Thug, etc and they can imitate them easily. Honestly, it isn't just white people doing black music, it's black rappers that do less songs about black empowerment and black struggle but they'll mostly rap about clubbing, getting high, and fukking hoes. With loud and obnoxious trap beats, everyone will listen to it and don't question it. Whites can easily do that, but they can't do what Eminem did. That's why Rap is becoming like Rock.

We should take back Rock since whites aren't listening to it as much
Facts, we need more Terrance Martin, Anderson .Paak, Thundercat types in the game

Afrodroid

God bless Black People!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rio De Janeiro, BR
This is the effect of white supremacy as a whole and we can not fight against this alone without fighting for our rights first. Here in Brazil the same thing happens and i believe it to be so in other countries with a considerable amount of afro-descendants.

They hold the biggest record labels, the big media, the fashion these artists like so much to brag about, and we continue to give our money to them, supporting those who exploit us.

The black music and culture today is represented by pale faces, and my people more and more defeated...

My point being is as usual....blacks are always so eager to invite cacs into their environment whereas cacs constantly show they don't want nothin to do wit u...wanna use to make a buck off u...or appropriate u somehow. Its sad... :mjpls:

I'm all for the radicalization and preservation of black culture around the world, but as you well said the problem is ourselves. Non blacks comes with a smile and sympathy and soon these sambos negros allow them to appropriate their house :mjlol:

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
So Bruno Mars wins a bunch of Grammys from the Recording Academy and NOW we're supposed to be
concerned about the "whitewashing" of black music?

OK.

Its too late.

Why weren't we worried about whitewashing when Elton John played Bennie and the Jets on Soul Train?

giphy.gif

Why weren't we worried about whitewashing when Whitney was signed by Clive?

clive-davis-whitney-houston-1983-450a081909.jpeg

Why weren't we worried about whitewashing when Michael made Say, Say, Say with a Beatle?

ThrillerStudio.png

Why weren't we worried about whitewashing when the founder of NWA signed a white rapper out of Detroit?

Screen-Shot-2017-07-12-at-1.47.31-PM.png

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads
Beautiful answers in here,mane. :wow:

So Bruno Mars wins a bunch of Grammys from the Recording Academy and NOW we're supposed to be

OK.

Its too late.

Why weren't we worried about whitewashing when Elton John played Bennie and the Jets on Soul Train?

giphy.gif

Why weren't we worried about whitewashing when Michael made Say, Say, Say with a Beatle?

ThrillerStudio.png

Why weren't we worried about whitewashing when the founder of NWA signed a white rapper out of Detroit?

:russ::deadmanny:

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN

OK.

Its too late.

giphy.gif

ThrillerStudio.png

:patrice:my definition of white washing is completely different from these examples

- whitney got booed by black people at the soul train awards
- michael jackson had literally done everything any R&B singer could do after OFF THE WALL, he purposely wanted to conquer the pop/crossover world
- soul train was often used by labels to help their white artists to crossover to urban markets, it rarely worked but they did it anyway.
- eminem was a certified battle rapper nationally before he even met dr dre - redman said he came into his hood and battled way back in the day

white washing to me is when you purposely take manufactured black sound and give it a white face
nick jonas, miley, iggy azelia, justin timberlake:

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
:patrice:my definition of white washing is completely different from these examples

- whitney got booed by black people at the soul train awards
- michael jackson had literally done everything any R&B singer could do after OFF THE WALL, he purposely wanted to conquer the pop/crossover world
- soul train was often used by labels to help their white artists to crossover to urban markets, it rarely worked but they did it anyway.
- eminem was a certified battle rapper nationally before he even met dr dre - redman said he came into his hood and battled way back in the day

white washing to me is when you purposely take manufactured black sound and give it a white face

EDIT: actually I'm changing my stance.

• Wasn't Whitney on crack when that happened? And it showed?
  • Unless you're talking about MJ bleaching his face and doing that, it sounds like the opposite.
  • Yeah, that's definitely whitewashing by your definition and just whitewashing in general.
  • That sounds like a white boy who earned his place in hip-hop.