What Can Black People Do To Combat the "Whitewashing" Of Black Music?

ReturnOfJudah

Veteran
Daps
Put our bread together to start our own avenues. Any c00ns that decide to work with CACs should receiver no support from us. Don’t buy their records, watch their videos. We should act like those c00ns don’t exist and completely ignore them.

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
I have no issue with Bruno Mars. He let it be known who inspired him and what his influences are, which are BLACK artists.

The problem I have is Blacks being so eager to collaborate with whites who don't really give a damn about our music they try to use us for.

When I heard Justin Bieber singing over the Wu Tang Clan Ain't Nuthin ta fukk With beat, I coulda slapped the shyt outta Kanye and Raekwon

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
The mainstream is all theirs now, every popular black artist, is really popping because they’re hot in the burbs, they’re pitchfork and complex magazine hot.

support the shyt that “they” don’t care about and don’t understand, even if you have to force yourself to try to get it - expand your minds beyond street shyt:

Nothing happens overnight, but if we start making these type of artists popular again, we can counter what the mainstream is doing

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
There needs to be more support of black publications and involved in music publications in general. Y'all are gonna have to spend more money on the people. As for people who already involved in the industry, they need to continue propping up other artists and other writers etc.

DatNkkaCutty

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
@ PA
Some cac at my place of employment had one of these Pop radio stations on recently. Ol ass TLC Waterfalls comes on and they cut out Left-Eye's rapping part...which seemed a little odd to me...
:mjpls: Then another song came on...can't remember which song it was...but I know it featured a rapper's verse....cut out...:mjpls: My point being is as usual....blacks are always so eager to invite cacs into their environment whereas cacs constantly show they don't want nothin to do wit u...wanna use to make a buck off u...or appropriate u somehow. Its sad... :mjpls:

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
make new genres of music like we always do.
This. Back in the day black people made new genre every decade, there hasn't been anything new in 30 years. That's alarming. What happened?

As for Grammys and mainstream, um, no one gives a shyt about mainstream anymore where the hell have you been? Everything is on youtube, soundcloud, online, no one controls music anymore, you can find a local artist to support and listen too in just a few key strokes. Caring about the mainstream means you give a shyt about what cacs listen too, you lose by default doing that. Every time they tried to steal something (Elvis) we just created something new and directed our attention else where, we didn't care about what the radio was playing, we brought out vinyl and made our own parties until cacs looked over the wall out of curiosity. They can't white out new musics that are in your own neighbourhoods under your own control (how all the other genres started), if you keep evolving all you leave them with are old news and scraps.

I can't recite a single Bruno Mars song, but I can rap along to my local artist's entire album.

Last edited:

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps
We going to get it together. I know it. Focus on us. My Spotify account and Tidal account full of new music from Africa. I be learning listening to something new everyday from my own people. It's refreshing and makes me happy.