What are some games introduced that you badly wished would end up great but you knew wouldn't

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Within the confines of the thread character limit, basically this. Have you ever seen a game/concept introduced that damn near struck every button for you but you just knew that the developer wouldn't be able to bring it home, be it their prior development history, the concept being introduced versus the technology at the time, etc.

Just curious. There are three that stand out to me.

next-generation-magazine-september_1_b0d035aaf97ec1f1e190bf8bb572ac9c.jpg

Messiah:

This was pushing graphics in a crazy way, the dystopian religious stuff sounded dope. The ability to jump from character to character, with their own flesh out story and circumstance was a really far out concept. The thing that I kept coming back to was that this was Shiny and they are just known for Earthworm Jim. There isn't anyway they were going to nail this. I held out hope that this would realize some of the promise but it ultimately turned out to be an average game.

20020703042250_87-e1505662750136.jpg

Or what the world came to know as

xvu881f_2048x2048.jpeg

I mean, I kind of set myself up here. Peter Molyneux already had a history of over-exaggeration of his games. However, this was going to be the greatest RPG that would ever be created. A game that would take place over most of your life, the environments, the cities, the people were going to change/confirm and none of those actions were to be predetermined, it would all be based on your actions in the game. I mean, the man was bold enough to say this to be quoted

"I'm now going to say a bold, bold claim, which you are going to throw back in my face, time and time again. And this is a stupid thing I'm going to say, and I don't know why I'm going to say it, but I'm going to say it anyway. I reckon that Project Ego is going to be the greatest role-playing game of all time. Which is insane. I could say the second greatest, I could say quite good, I could say, hmmmm it's quite nice, but I'm going to say greatest game of all time.

It wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't what was promised as Project Ego. I still think about what could have been.

simcity-complete-edition-packart.jpg

Holy fukk, holy fukk, holy fukk.

This should have been the easiest one to get or at least I thought. Technically, this is Sim City 5. Sim City 4 was an excellent follow up to Sim City 2000. It was this game however where it solidified for me that one person can actually make or break a game. Will Wright wasn't here for this game but I thought that EA could just follow the template he created and just ride that out with some needed changes that was largely brought on by newer technology. Little did I know that that meant online DRM among other things. If Will Wright was a part of this, EA wouldn't have pulled this shyt. Will Wright, to this day, is still top 5 dead or alive game producer ever to me. I love city builder games because of Sim City. My love for Civilization grew from the love of micromanagement in Sim City. Sim City is one of the most influential games ever created. I remember looking at the graphics of Sim City 5 and was like, this is going to be Maxis' magnum opus but when I learned that Will Wright had nothing with this game and EA was putting out bullshyt like this.

This is when it truly hit me that the genius behind the franchise I loved had nothing to do with its most recent incarnation. I knew that he had already left in 2009 after Sim City 4 but I, to my detriment, hoped that he did something with version. It wasn't meant to be. I was in denial for a large part of this game's development but in a weird way, I was hoping Will Wright could send some good vibes to the team but shyt out of luck. Cities Skyline has a modern UI and such and looks better than Sim City 5 but still, Sim City 4 is still the GOAT of the city builders.

Just curious what some of these would be for others.

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
I wasn’t hyped to play fable like that, I never heard it was supposed to be goat .... heard people talking about it and played it ...

shyt was good to me :wow:

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Playstation All stars Battle Royale:russ:
I wanted it to be as good as smash brothers badly.

The gameplay was super on point they just lacked the overall roster size and presentation value to compete with Smash. That was honestly one of my all time favorite games on PS3, I used to put in work with Kratos online:wow:. If Sony invested in it more I feel like it really could been something bigger than what it was:mjcry:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
The gameplay was super on point they just lacked the overall roster size and presentation value to compete with Smash. That was honestly one of my all time favorite games on PS3, I used to put in work with Kratos online:wow:. If Sony invested in it more I feel like it really could been something bigger than what it was:mjcry:

Yep. I feel like since they've gotten even more new IPs last gen and liable moving forward this gen, they'd have even more characters to throw into the mix. I also like that everyone either played in 4-player free-for-all or teams of 2 rather than try to force it to be a 1v1 "Phighting" game like Smash players do.

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Guilty Gear Strive , I don’t know man. Watching high level players during the second beta, it looks extremely one note.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The game only having finishers as a way to win made the depth go down the drain. It had a little depth to it but the finishers were lacking. They should've leaned hard into the Smash gameplay.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
spore, ill forever be salty about the expectations that were set vs the way the game turned out