What are good resources to learn about African history?

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Been meaning to make this thread. I'm looking for books, documentaries, or even web pages as learning material. Thanks brehs

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Kinda complex question as they VERY varied but mostly online. But since it seems you're new for you I would start with watching docs om youtube. But first WHICH African civilization do you intend on studying?
All history but at the moment I want to learn more about slavery and where ancestors ended up besides America.

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
If you're looking for a general history on Africa, the Unesco and Cambridge series are great resources. I would also look into the work of Basil Davidson as well as the early works of black scholars like Snowen, Woodson, Dubois, Rogers, Clarke, Van Sertima, Obenga, and Diop.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
All history but at the moment I want to learn more about slavery and where ancestors ended up besides America.

Well then thats more Slave Trade history than African. If you're talking about YOUR ancestors who were most likely West/Central African and not East Africans taken to the Middle East, then placea other than America they were taken would be the Caribbean and Latin America.

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
Capitalism and Slavery By Eric Williams
Black Jacobins by CLR James
Sugar and Slaves by Richard Dunn
Black Ivory, Slavery in the British Colonies
Transformations in Slavery by Lovejoy
Way of Death: Merchant Capitalism and the Angolan Slave trade by Joseph Miller

These are if you want to learn about the slave trade in the Caribbean