"We were kings and queens"

Daps
I write jokes and one is about this statement. However, I'm trying to figure out to do this without sounding self hating and racist. Why do people say "we were kings" as if that applied to everyone. Some of us who weren't sh*t then, still aren't now.Figuratively, somebody worked at Starbucks back then. Even the baristas were kings? Is this like Apple geniuses? That's the basic idea.

But I'm not one to make jokes about things I don't fully understand. So I'm asking, why do we push this narrative? I understand to the degree of combating the stereotype that Africa wasn't civilized. However, most people aren't saying this for that reason. In fact, most of the people I hear using this are pretentious imho. Any explanation or insightful link is appreciated.

Daps
At the end of the day if your grandfather cleaned toilets its nothing to be ashamed of. At the end of the day be thankful of those who came before you and work on doing something so those who come after you will have something to praise.
Good point. I'll try to note that because my goal is make fun of frauds, not black people in beneral.

Daps
We were Kings, Queens, philosophers, priests, scientists, writers, farmers, blacksmiths, potters, merchants, comedians, soldiers etc.

It's just a reminder that Black people were not always a servile class. At least in world history.
Blacksmiths :ohhh:

Back then we were just called 'smiths :laugh:

Thanks for the perspective. It's already helped me rewrite this.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I write jokes and one is about this statement. However, I'm trying to figure out to do this without sounding self hating and racist. Why do people say "we were kings" as if that applied to everyone. Some of us who weren't sh*t then, still aren't now.Figuratively, somebody worked at Starbucks back then. Even the baristas were kings? Is this like Apple geniuses? That's the basic idea.

But I'm not one to make jokes about things I don't fully understand. So I'm asking, why do we push this narrative? I understand to the degree of combating the stereotype that Africa wasn't civilized. However, most people aren't saying this for that reason. In fact, most of the people I hear using this are pretentious imho. Any explanation or insightful link is appreciated.

To answer the OP's question, what I take the whole "we were kings and queens" as is that what people mean is that blacks(back in Africa) at one point were on a higher level than we currently are now. Back then there was BLACK hegemony where we were dominate(not oppressed), had the most quality of life but more important we were valued as human beings. When people use the whole "we were kings and queens" they usually(sometimes not always the best) use Ancient Egypt as an example.

Again when people use the phase they don't mean it LITERALLY(at least I hope so) like they were descendants of kings and queens, but just that the "black race" at one point had complete hegemony. This is why I don't often clown those who use the phrase. Unless they mean it literally. Anyways this video explains it all imo.

Daps
To answer the OP's question, what I take the whole "we were kings and queens" as is that what people mean is that blacks(back in Africa) at one point were on a higher level than we currently are now. Back then there was BLACK hegemony where we were dominate(not oppressed), had the most quality of life but more important we were valued as human beings. When people use the whole "we were kings and queens" they usually(sometimes not always the best) use Ancient Egypt as an example.

Again when people use the phase they don't mean it LITERALLY(at least I hope so) like they were descendants of kings and queens, but just that the "black race" at one point had complete hegemony.
Do you think it's unfair to Joke about the phrase?

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
This guy was a Fulani religious scholar who was kidnapped and brought to America around 1730. He has a Quran hanging around his neck. He could read and write in Arabic (and probably Ajami - an African script). His name was Ayuba Suleiman Diallo.
William_Hoare_of_Bath_-_Portrait_of_Ayuba_Suleiman_Diallo%2C_%281701-1773%29.jpg

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
It's kind of a slogan, so it has its flaws. Obviously it cannot be about EVERYONE being kings and queens, just by using sheer logic. I hope it is meant as a "symbolic" king, as in for example "I'm the master of my own destiny" or something along those lines.

It's also strange to have it used only in the past tense, as there are REAL kings to this day in Africa, and there are "symbolic" Black kings and Queens (in charge of their own destiny) everywhere where there are Black people. I'd probably like it better if it were in the present tense, some sort of celebrating people of now instead of always linking to some glorious past that is sometimes idealized.

I personnaly don't like it because having grown up in Africa (CAR) I know damn well that we were not all "Kings and Queens". You prob had evil low-life individuals back then just as there are now, that's just human nature. So I'm always cautious about generalizations, whether they be negative or positive.

Daps
Reppin
Prince Georges County

As Mansamusa and kidstranglehold explained, it's only bad if you are against it as if we had no blacks in history that were more than a servile class. One of the problems we have is we don't grow up hearing that we had our kind in high places.

That makes us settle for less when we actually can be on top of the world just like anyone else. It's a narrative that is pushed for the positive reinforcement that comes with it. It's better to just go with it so someone knows they can be shyt rather than going "You weren't shyt then and still aren't now".

Daps
As Mansamusa and kidstranglehold explained, it's only bad if you are against it as if we had no blacks in history that were more than a servile class. One of the problems we have is we don't grow up hearing that we had our kind in high places.

That makes us settle for less when we actually can be on top of the world just like anyone else. It's a narrative that is pushed for the positive reinforcement that comes with it. It's better to just go with it so someone knows they can be shyt rather than going "You weren't shyt then and still aren't now".
Yeah the last part is definitely too harsh so that's why I asked for some input. However, I do detest the ignorant hoteps and fake militants so that's the angle I'm playing with the joke. I'll call out them specifically rather than black people as a whole.