Watching Soul Food As A Kid Vs As An Adult Is A Profound Experience

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I was 11 years old when the movie premiered. And back in those days (I feel:flabbynsick: just saying that) when a black movie came out that wasn’t portraying black people as thugs and drug dealers dropped, it was a big occasion. My entire family went to the movies to see it, brought it when it came out on VHS, and watched it every holiday. I remember as a kid, first thinking how cool it was that Ahmad the black brother was the narrator, and how much of a bytch Terri was. Terri was framed as the “villain” of the film, wanting to sale the big house, being a cold and unsupportive wife to Myles, and mostly only caring about money.
Meanwhile, Maxine was portrayed as the “anchor” for the family once Big Mama goes into a coma. She’s a loving wife, strong mother, and she comes up with a plan to keep the Big House in the family and when Terri threatens that plan she boldly draws up a Cease and Desist Letter to stop Terri from selling the family home.

As a kid me and my sisters always rooted for Maxine. But as an adult watching the movie you see how truly fukked up that whole family was, and its TERRI whose the one with real sense.

- Maxine “stole” Kenny from Terri when they were young. Now given, Kenny is a grown man too with his own agency and you could tell he was feeling Max the first time he met her, but still as a SISTER you’d think she’d turn him down out of loyalty. But nope, she seduces him, marries him, and ends up having a happy life with three beautiful children. Causing Terri to always subconsciously compare every man in her life to Kenny, which is why she was already divorced once and probably part of the reason why she was so emotionally unavailable to Miles.

-When cousin Faith shows up, everybody in the family knows that she’s a scheming hoe. And the FIRST thing that Max says is that Faith has to stay with Terri. Bird is newly wed and doesn’t want a scandalous hussy around her young husband Lem, ok fair enough. But then here comes Max talking about “You KNOW she ain’t staying around Kenny and the kids.” Now this is a close knit family, meaning Max knows or at the very LEAST has an inclining that everything hasn’t been going swell with Terri and Miles. She herself has a faithful, supportive husband with a third baby on the way, who wouldn’t DREAM of betraying Max in any way, their shyt is solid. So why wouldn’t you take one on the chin and let Faith stay with you, knowing she’s not going to mess up what you have with your husband. Instead you FORCE her into the home of a couple whose marriage is already going through a rough patch. A 20-something, attractive, hot in the ass hussy who walks around in skimpy clothing. Thats a recipe for disaster.

-Big Mama’s medical bills pile up. And Max’s FIRST thought is “Terri you can pay all the bills and we’ll figure the rest out later.”:dahell: Terri who PAID for Bird’s and Lem’s wedding. Terri who PAID for Bird’s beauty shop. Terri who by all circumstances had been footing the bulk of the family expenses for decades, now has to add THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS of hospital bills to her list of responsibilities? The fukk??! And when Terri balks at this, the family acts like SHE’S the one whose trippin:mindblown:

-Her aforementioned cousin Faith, whose been living in TERRIS home rent muthafukking free, repays her by seducing her husband. Miles even tried to get out the situation by leaving and going to his studio to cool down, and the bytch FOLLOWS him and puts that sweet 20-something soft & wet p*ssy RIGHT in his face. She goes OUT of her way to fukk her cousins husband. And she doesn’t have sex with him... oh no... they was fukkING. BANGING. SCREWING. shyt was so good Miles couldn’t even last half a 30 minute round. DAMN. Way to show your cousin that you care:martin:

-As Terri is dealing with frustration, betrayal, and grief; Maxine goes behind her back and draws up and cease and desist letter barring Terri from selling the Big House. This basically means that with Big Mama gone, Terri is the one forced to pay the goddamn expenses on the house. A house she hasn’t lived in since SHE was a child. It was never explicitly stated that Bird and Lem were paying utilities but lets be generous and say they are. That still leaves whatever Mortgage is left on the house that TERRI has to pay.

At the end of the movie everybody reconciles and thats well and good. But Ahmad goes on to say that Faith still stops by every now and then, and that even though Miles and Terri divorced, that fact doesn’t stop him from coming by every now and then to get a plate...wait a fukking minute. The man CHEATS ON YOU with YOUR cousin and is still allowed to pop up whenever he gets an itching for a plate? The whore who seduced him can too? In the house TERRI IS PAYING FOR:mindblown: THE fukk?!!?

What a messed up set of circumstances for one woman to have her blood relatives put her through

Shoutouts to @Tenchi® Ryu™ for inspiring this thread

Last edited:

AceDeuce

I got a lot of challengers...
Daps
tenor.gif

nikka...I never even thought about it that way.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Surprised that your family let you watch a film with adult themes as a kid.

My father had me watching Sankofa when I was 10.

If it was a black movie. We watched it. Usually my father would sit me and my siblings down after a movie and ask us what we learned from it. If we had any questions he’d explain it to us.

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC

If it was a black movie. We watched it. Usually my father would sit me and my siblings down after a movie and ask us what we learned from it. If we had any questions he’d explain it to us.
Dap × Rep

My mother did the same for us, everything from Harlem Nights to I'm Gonna Get You Sucka. :wow:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

You were very advanced, and had a very proactive father.
I saw Sankofa at early 20-ish, and it was incredibly hard to watch and process.