Viewer tells WWL-TV anchor Charisse Gibson her Africa necklace is un-American

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
ADOS/FBA weirdos rejoice :blessed:
WHITE ALLIES! :gladbron:
61fd907451d2d.image.jpg

According to a Thursday night tweet from WWL-TV news anchor Charisse Gibson, a viewer warned that the small pendant she wore on air, one shaped like the African continent, implied a lack of patriotism.

“If you persist in wearing a medallion of Africa, please know that I will change channels,” the viewer wrote via email, according to a screenshot posted by Gibson. “You are an American first and should be proud of that.”

Gibson seemed unswayed by the aggrieved viewer's warning. Her response on twitter was simply: “Nah.”

Reached by phone Friday, Gibson, a Black woman, said she gets her share of criticism, and often it’s race-based. “I typically don’t like to share it,” she said, but this time “I wanted people to see.”

Gibson said she wears her Africa pendant regularly. She thinks it might have drawn the attention of the viewer because it symbolizes the history of the slave trade. “My ancestry is African,” Gibson said, and it’s natural to try to find your way back to where you came from.

A New Orleans native who attended Warren Easton High School, Gibson says she can trace her family to St. John the Baptist Parish and Mississippi. Farther back, her family tree can't be traced, because her ancestors were taken from their homelands against their wills and given new identities as enslaved people.

To some, she said, her African pendant “is a reminder of that erasure, of that original sin.”

Gibson said she sees no conflict in being of African descent and being American. “I’m African-American. It’s what I’m rooted in," she said, "and where I came from helped build this country.”

She said never intended to debate with the viewer who challenged her to choose her Americanism over her African heritage. “I’m not arguing this,” she said. “I’d never deny my culture.”

Nor would she deny the various heritages of fellow Americans. “You know what’s insane, too,” she said. “I’ve always taken joy in learning about other cultures.”

Without a doubt Gibson said she’d be wearing her African pendant during Friday night’s broadcast and thereafter. In fact, if there was time, she planned to do a little shopping for some earrings to match before stepping in front of the camera.

Evening News Anchor Charisse Gibson talks over stories during the daily afternoon news meeting at the WWL studio in New Orleans, Friday, July 19, 2019.

PHOTO BY DINAH ROGERS
Gibson said she was reassured when her Twitter followers rose up in her defense, with comments such as:

• “Ask if she needs me to send her fresh batteries for her remote.”
  • “Exactly … You're an American first! Which means you can wear what you want, when you want, where you want.”
  • “If your necklace is the biggest problem in their lives, they are blessed! Good grief.”
Her employer also stood up for her.

“We fully support anchor Charisse Gibson," executive news director Keith Esparros said. "At WWL, we embrace diversity in the people we hire, the stories we tell, and celebrate the diversity of all New Orleanians. We will continue to support Charisse and continue to celebrate diversity and inclusion. “

According to her online WWL-TV bio, Gibson's journalism career has taken her to Cincinnati and Shreveport as well as New Orleans. She is a national Murrow Award and Emmy Award winner, and is president of the New Orleans Association of Black Journalists.

MoveForward

Veteran
Daps
:gucci:How are we weirdos for wanting our own ethnic identity? You weirdos are obsessed with us lol

That being said, I don’t see the problem with this BUT she wanted a reaction and she got one. I don’t see news anchors of other nationalities wearing a pendant of their country to work.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
:gucci:How are we weirdos for wanting our own ethnic identity? You weirdos are obsessed with us lol

That being said, I don’t see the problem with this BUT she wanted a reaction and she got one. I don’t see news anchors of other nationalities wearing a pendant of their country to work.
What? Are you saying she's to blame?

chkmeout

marshawn lynch handshake
Daps

Shut the fukk up goofy

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
If a reporter has a necklace of Ireland or France, no one would give a shyt.

But an Africa pendant and people get in their feelings.
You already know they got a whole segment on St Patrick's day:

We're here is Shafer O'Malley, a traditional Irish chef, and he's prepared a few dishes for us. What do you have, Shafer? :ohhh:

Shafer: I've prepared blahzay blah :cook:

Crew: Oh wow, that looks phenomenal :whoo: *takes a bite* WOW :noah: The festival is this weekend, there'll be food, music, but the highlight I hear will be the River Dancers, let's bring them out, Jill:

:stylin::stylin::stylin:

AMAZING! :wow: Fantastic work gang, could you keep up, Jill?

I tried Ron!! :bryan: But I think I need a bit more time to practice. Thankfully there's still time to prepare for all of us. And again it's this weekend at...

ADOS/FBA/White folks: We should go :ehh: the kids would enjoy it

Last edited:

MoveForward

Veteran
Daps
Shut the fukk up goofy
Stop being so sensitive, you’re not proud to be African unless you want to tell Black Americans we aren’t African. Then we said, “ Ok, we aren’t.” Now you nikkas are obsessed and throwing sissy fits.

invalid

Banned
Daps
Bless, O Lord, our country, Africa,
so that she may waken from her sleep.
Fill her horn with plenty, guide her feet.
Hear us, Faithful One. Hear us, Faithful One.
Spirit descend, Spirit, Spirit;
Spirit descend, Spirit, Spirit;
Spirit descend. Spirit, descend, Spirit divine.

Swahili:
Bwana ibariki Afrika,
iliipate kuamka.
Maombi ye ta yasikilel.
Utubariki. Utubariki.
Uje Roho, Uje, Uje;
Uje Roho, Uje, Uje;
Uje Roho. Uje Roho.
Utujaze.

Zulu:
Nkosi sikelel’ i Afrika,
malupakam’ upondolwayo;