Using a laptop with 4GB of RAM in 2024 feels like I'm in the Stone Age

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Decided to look in my storage and use my smaller older laptop I bought back in 2019. Wanted it because I was traveling and didn't want to lug around the main bigger 15.6 inch laptop I use

Big mistake :why::deadrose:

This older laptop is slow as fukk. Maybe I didn't realize it when I bought it, but shyt is freezing and screen going black off of simple programs I'm using on it. I only have Microsoft Word, PDF viewers, and an internet browser on. And on the browser, I'm not playing any Youtube, 0 streaming, no video games, just email, a couple blogs, etc

Many time I wanted to throw and smash this laptop on the ground, but kept my composure :pachaha:. I remember the days when a 4GB RAM computer was the best thing on the market a decade ago. I don't care, it's a conspiracy that they purposely make all of these apps and websites require more RAM so you're forced to buy new laptops. shyt is crazy

Zime

Superstar
Daps
I still use a laptop from 2017

Originally came with HDD and 8GB RAM, but I upgraded to SSD and 16GB.

Still feels old, but at least it doesn't run fukking slow.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
I'm still on my Macbook 2018. I hate Macs but I use them at work so decided to use one at home too.

DapMeUp!

Superstar
Daps
Surprised that shyt still works.
Do they even sell Laptops with 4gb Ram anymore? :pachaha:Sounds like a convictable crime in 2024 :pachaha:

Starburst

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I still use a laptop from 2017

Originally came with HDD and 8GB RAM, but I upgraded to SSD and 16GB.

Still feels old, but at least it doesn't run fukking slow.
My laptop is a 2012 MacBook Pro which I upgraded to 8GB Ram and SSD. I’ve used it to work on 2 graduate degrees plus work etc, and it’s still going strong!

Don’t sleep on eBay refurbished. I really don’t see the need to by a brand new laptop.

I should add that I only paid $190 for the laptop and about $50 for the RAM and SSD.

Last edited:

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
Decided to look in my storage and use my smaller older laptop I bought back in 2019. Wanted it because I was traveling and didn't want to lug around the main bigger 15.6 inch laptop I use

Big mistake :why::deadrose:

This older laptop is slow as fukk. Maybe I didn't realize it when I bought it, but shyt is freezing and screen going black off of simple programs I'm using on it. I only have Microsoft Word, PDF viewers, and an internet browser on. And on the browser, I'm not playing any Youtube, 0 streaming, no video games, just email, a couple blogs, etc

Many time I wanted to throw and smash this laptop on the ground, but kept my composure :pachaha:. I remember the days when a 4GB RAM computer was the best thing on the market a decade ago. I don't care, it's a conspiracy that they purposely make all of these apps and websites require more RAM so you're forced to buy new laptops. shyt is crazy
Modern day windows haa a lot of bloat that takes up RAM space

You can have a 8gb RAM laptop and for some reason 2.5-3 GB is alwyas in use... I can't imagine how that would look with a 4GB Ram?

ThaBoyBam

You don't respect your jaw!
Daps
You’re a linux and truenas install away from a home NAS. At the very least you could have dedicated storage for your devices. Check youtube, it’s easy.

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
:picard:
I got a mac mini m2 pro and the only reason I got a pro is because the normal version was pre configured with 8gb of ram instead of 16GB of ram
I was finna have to wait another week if I took a 16GB configuration so I just said fukk it and got the pro that came with 16GB ram
Im using it only as a headless NAS server to stream my movies and tv shows its overkill but I wasn’t finna get a 8GB ram in 2024
But
4GIGABYTES OF RAM nikka
:damn: :bryan: NOOOOOOOOOO

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
4GB should handle that okay....you may need to look at what processes are running on that machine