Upper/lower split vs push pull vs bodybuilder split

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I do upper lower... upper 3-4x/week and lower 2x/week since my legs dont need much to grow

I like upper/lower because your body only needs 48 hours to recover each body part and you can hit shyt way more often with a full upper/lower split than push/pull. Like I said I hit upper up to 4x/week... push pull u can only do 2x/week max

semtex

:)
Daps
Upper lower works well as long as rows and deads are separated by a few days for your hands' sake :bryan:

GuChiMeng

East (Asian) Atlanta Santa
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
On Candito 6 week program currently, so it's upper/lower. Ever since I started my poverty squat finally stopped stalling :ahh:

May go back to 5/3/1 at some point when I want to do some BB chit.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
That feel of upper/lower never gets old.

3 upper days
2 lower
1 day of cardio only.

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Which training style are yall using?

@Spliff
Upper/Lower.

A1 B1 x A2 B2 x x

Flexible, has variety, saves shoulders, not much recovery overlap if programmed properly, gives room for error, great for bulking and just swap to ABA, BAB for cutting.

Pull/Push/Legs was my routine when I was cutting for all them months on :hamster: Easy to adhere to, short gym time. I was doing it once a week though. You'd have to watch out for shoulder issues with the >1x per week pull/push routines for bulking.

BB style just feels like I'm cheating myself of gains. :manny: I'm not on roids and I'm not at the point :old: where a body part needs that long to recover from a session

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Upper/Lower.

A1 B1 x A2 B2 x x

Flexible, has variety, saves shoulders, not much recovery overlap if programmed properly, gives room for error, great for bulking and just swap to ABA, BAB for cutting.

Pull/Push/Legs was my routine when I was cutting for all them months on :hamster: Easy to adhere to, short gym time. I was doing it once a week though. You'd have to watch out for shoulder issues with the >1x per week pull/push routines for bulking.

BB style just feels like I'm cheating myself of gains. :manny: I'm not on roids and I'm not at the point :old: where a body part needs that long to recover from a session

What do you mean "saves shoulders"?

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Full body :yeshrug:

Monday / Wednesday/Friday

Tuesday/Thursday I isolate my abs and box a little

Saturdays I either swim or abs/box Sundays I rest although sometimes I throw in some boxing.​

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
What do you mean "saves shoulders"?

Not a high chance to overwork the shoulder girdle like some other routines. Only hitting shoulders 2x/week on standard upper/lower splits.

Pull/push/legs/x hits shoulder 3-4 times a week. The spaced out variants will avoid it, but then body part frequency drops.

BB split hits shoulder min 3x a week.

You'd have to pay more attention to volume.

Upper/Lower and its variants is GOAT breh. :manny:

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Right now it's full body workout 3 times a week. Cardio and abs twice a week. Also cardio and yoga once per week. I will also try to give myself one day off per week, preferably Sunday.

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Not a high chance to overwork the shoulder girdle like some other routines. Only hitting shoulders 2x/week on standard upper/lower splits.

Pull/push/legs/x hits shoulder 3-4 times a week. The spaced out variants will avoid it, but then body part frequency drops.

BB split hits shoulder min 3x a week.

You'd have to pay more attention to volume.

Upper/Lower and its variants is GOAT breh. :manny:

How many sets you using for chest, back, shoulders each workout

Any direct arm work?

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
@Spliff wat moves hit the shoulder girdle in a bad way

I only directly hit shoulders twice a week but I bench 3-4x/week :lupe:

I used to have mild shoulder issues but that shyt stopped when I started to retract my shoulder blades on bench and :camby:'d shoulder snap moves like weighted dips. I did bring behind the neck press back into the mix tho :lupe: