Underrated and Unknown Matches that Deserves the Criterion Treatment

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
As you all know, I am a cinematic type of marsupial and enjoy the aspects of a good movie from the cast, writing, acting, and visual perspective. Now, since the IWC been on this whole "cinema" rave when it comes down to wrestling matches, which match or matches in your opinion deserves the Criterion treatment. Like if you want to introduce somebody into your weird goofy wrestling world, which match would it be. It can be the shyttiest match, but it seems like a "cult classic" to you, or an underrated performance that heads need to appreciate.

For instance:

The Last Battle of Atlanta
008_Sawyer_Rich2--68f889af5df5ccfc526cfb0a03fe4f0e.jpg

This photo alone would make a hard ass Criterion cover. The match itself was okay at best, however the history surrounding this match follows:

• The match was considered the "holy grail" and hard to seek until WWE opened the vault
  • It birthed the Hell in a Cell match and even Wargames
  • This was the first time a steel cage actually had a roof
  • It was untelevised and had the sheets popping due to the magnitude of the match (Paul Ellering being in a shark cage overlooking the carnage)
Another example:
3831442ba7ef72320acecb8693eb6679.jpg

This match man.....like whew :wow: . You have a wrestler who just lost his friend to suicide (Rest easy Sweet n Sour) and basically got nothing to lose. So he addresses his woes and pain through this powerful promo:

Man....despite dude being stuck in the 90s, Kingston made me a believer what he was saying. Promo so good that I actually sampled it in a beat I made a while back:

Now, the match itself was just marvelous. You had Quackenbush who pulled no punches and a struggling Kingston trying to survive. It got to the point where Quack was doing uncanny shyt like the poke of the eye and heel tactics. Eventually, Kingston became the man to beat the man and become the man of the hour.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
He said one match.

I’ll go Hell in a Cell 1 if the question is which match you’d use to intro somebody to wrestling

Yeah that's what I'm getting at. Like if I wanted to introduce folks to a drama flick, I would go with "There Will Be Blood" or "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button".

Just a match that screams "cinema". I'm talking on the level of layers, instead of 6 star Meltz dikk eating.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Yeah that's what I'm getting at. Like if I wanted to introduce folks to a drama flick, I would go with "There Will Be Blood" or "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button".

Just a match that screams "cinema". I'm talking on the level of layers, instead of 6 star Meltz dikk eating.
Taker vs Kane WM14 jumps out to me

Cal Cutta

Balthazar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Joe/Necro Butcher. Entirely from the perspective of Necro Butcher. Directed by David Cronenberg. Remastered with director’s approval in 4K with uncompressed mono soundtrack. Commentary track by Dave Prazak/CM Punk/Eddie Kingston. Additional one-hour documentary originally shown on RAI on how fukked up IWA Mid South is. UHD $40/Blu-Ray $30. Comes out in December so I’ll wait nearly half a year to buy it during the next Barnes & Noble 50% off sale.

(yeah, I am a hardcore Criterion mark)

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Bret Hart vs Razor Ramon from Royal Rumble 93, because its the first high profile match i was introduced to because of the storyline and Razor Ramons swag

when they showed clips of the Owen Hart beatdown backstage i was hooked