Umar Johnson - On parents moving out of the hood for better opportunities for their Children

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps

Cued up to 5:56

The context
  • The community only praises Athletes and Entertainers
  • Black students (in the community) only see Athletes and Entertainers
  • Black students only want to be Athletes and Entertainers
  • Umar has a problem with this - as those fields are fairly limited
  • Black professionals/Trades people move out of the community
  • Black students don't see Black Professionals or Black Trades People.
So the interviewer pushes back - Black professionals move out of the community, because they don't want their children to grow up in the same environment that they did.

This is how Umar chooses to interpret the question, and answer.

My Thoughts - Umar ducked the question and created a strawman argument. And then created something even more insidious, but more persuasive.

If I put my child in a white suburban school and they destroy my child's self-esteem he or she may never recover and I've actually seen this happen as a school psychologist, where the self-esteem and the self-belief......
The concept of our children were destroyed in a year's time at a white private school and sometimes the children never recover
So for me I think it is safer from a psychological perspective for them to remain in the hood versus going to the suburbs

And then of course, masterful speaker, he doesn't address the African Elephant in the room, and pivots to "creating the thriving black community that we need"...

1) What does it mean, in practical terms, to destroy a child's sefl esteem/self belief?
2) How does that compare to black children only wanting to become Athletes and Entertainers?

I think Umar purposefully leaves these questions unanswered.

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
I saw this article earlier. Graph in link

The 10 fastest-shrinking US cities and towns​

Noah Sheidlower
Aug 5, 2023,

" Jackson, Mississippi, topped the list with a year-over-year decline of 2.5%, amounting to a net loss of about 4,000 residents. Some residents left following the city's water crisis, sparked by poor infrastructure and climate change. Jackson's population has slowly declined since 1980, as many white and middle-class Black families moved out."

Braman

Superstar
Daps
I’m not raising my kids around the rif raff, full stop. I will figure out how to build their confidence and give them a sense of community in different ways

But what I can’t control is if they’re surrounded by riff raff and fukkery, poverty and what comes from it, kids without guidance, etc