uBlock Origin setup guide and Appreciation thread

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
So today we're gonna install and configure the most important extension your browser needs: an ad-blocker. 65% of internet users use Google Chrome or some other Chromium derivative, so we're gonna focus on Chrome only. If you're a Firefox user still? :ufdup: But that's a conversation for another day.

uBlock Origin on the Chrome Web Store

After you install it, click on the uBlock Origin badge, and click the Settings icon:
1.png

Make sure you click the + to expand all of the lists. Notice how they're not ALL selected? Select all those bytches:
2.png

Now click "Apply Changes" then click the "Update Now" button that's right next to it:
3.png

From there, you're pretty much set. You can add even more filters with FilterList:

FilterLists.com

Just scroll down to the bottom, and check "Import..." and paste a link to a .txt file:
4.png

Or, if you use the website you can click the "Subscribe" button to insert it into uBlock Origin:
5.png

And there you have it. You should be ad-free. Please consider disabling ads on sites you want to support. If you want to enable ads on TheColi, click the uBlock Origin icon, and click the big ass Power button, then reload the page:
Screenshot-from-2022-07-24-13-23-25.png

If anyone likes this post, I can make more of these. Remember that uBlock Origin doesn't just block ads, it blocks trackers, Bitcoin miners, full screen popups, and all kinds of creepy shyt. There's also "Zapper Mode" which I will cover later. Ya'll be safe out there. These internet streets are nasty.

:salute:

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
also a reminder that other adblockers like the formerly awesome AdBlockPlus were bought out by research companies, or take money from these people to allow "approved" ads to leak through. uBlock Origin was formerly just called uBlock.. the 2 creators had beef over shyt like that, so gorhill forked it as uBlock Origin and refuses to take money or even donations. seems like a stand up guy.

the other creator that took the payola? hes still makin uBlock.. he uses a similar icon as Origin does now, to confuse people into installing HIS version instead.. grimey shyt. make sure you only install from my link above!!

Screenshot-from-2022-07-24-13-31-39.png

Screenshot-from-2022-07-24-13-31-59.png

dirty mf :bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback:

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
This is great info so much respect, OP. But if people haven’t been using uBlock for at least about a decade, they don’t deserve this info :pacspit: It’s 2022

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
This is great info so much respect, OP. But if people haven’t been using uBlock for at least about a decade, they don’t deserve this info :pacspit: It’s 2022

i know man lol

i just feel so bad for people dealing with this shyt... im gonna make a few threads like this. spread the knowledge :yeshrug:

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
I like it
Firefox is still pretty great. I love their video pop-out feature... so did Google; they liked it so much they stole it.

I lost my love for Firefox after the Australis bullshyt and the Brandon Eich thing. Mozilla cares more about how they're perceived than about delivering a good product. What you look like and whats in your pants is more important than hiring good programmers. Oh well.