Two for the Money is slept on good

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734

The cast is ridiculous

One of the more slept on Pacino performances ever...the gravitas of Any given Sunday or Devil's Advocate, without the over the topness. Peak McConoughey, doing Matthew McConoughey things, but sleeker than usual, Jeremy Piven being...Jeremy Piven...Armand Assante, Renee Russo...it's a great SPORTS movie...

this shyt is barely streamable anywhere. I have had it on my Watchlist for years and it just hit 'PLEX' which is on some Freevee sheet (Free with ads). I'm about half way thru and it's pretty strong. Hopefully it doesn't fall apart.

any of yall have opinions on it?

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
It's a fun movie. The kind that used to be on TNT on Sundays. I like seeing Pacino in anything, and this a competently made movie, at worst. It's not 88 Minutes and it's not Righetous Kill. Very 2005. The Brooklyn setting. The kind of office and job that's in so many of those rom com from around that time. The directorial style, which still is in the kind of early 2000's mode with that kind of music, and quick edit/montages.

Pacino's performance is very good, esp. the AA/GA meeting scene. and the whole betting on Rene Russo concept. It's a very familiar story, idealistic protege taken in by father figure, seduced by money and fame, who he is eventually disillusioned but enlightened by, returns to his true form by the end told in dozens of ways, but a very solid example of a well made one. Runner Runner is just like this. So is Wall Street.

I think Tony Gilroy wrote the screenplay. Edit: it's Dan Gilroy his brother, who is also really talented. Pacino did this exact role in The Devils Advocate.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I remember watching it once and enjoying it. Not a classic or anything but one of those films you’d randomly watch on a lazy day and enjoy
and that was literally my experience lol. This movie was exactly 'pretty good'.

I think it could be a classic with a slightly better director because the plot and acting are very good. Its a B, and could be an A+ in another world.

Exactly the movie you'd see on TNT as @re'up said

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
and that was literally my experience lol. This movie was exactly 'pretty good'.

I think it could be a classic with a slightly better director because the plot and acting are very good. Its a B, and could be an A+ in another world.

Exactly the movie you'd see on TNT as @re'up said

Check out Get Carter, which is very similar as far as that 2000'a style of directing

and DJ Caruso's other stuff including Taking Lives, which is the same kind of move as Two For The Money

I have been watching a lot of 90's movies, and what strikes me, is how much better they are than almost everything we see now. Not just different, demonstrably better. A lot of early 2000's movies fit that too. The set design, the actual plots, the actors, the music, the directing. I watched a forgotten sexual thriller Whisphers In The Dark, which features a sunset shot of a plane flying over Tribeca to some Thomas Newman score. They had to film that from a fukking helicopter. Movies don't have that anymore.