Twitch Considering Cutting Streamer Pay to Boost It's Own Profits

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
2022 is shaping up to be a rough year for content creators and sellers trying to make living through major tech platforms. Sellers on Amazon and Etsy are already facing increased fees and now new pay cuts may reportedly make their way to Twitch.

A new Bloomberg report citing people familiar with Twitch’s pay planning claims the company wants to incentivize streamers to run more ads in addition to considering reducing the portion of subscription fees allocated to performers. More specifically, the site’s top streamers would reportedly see their share of subscriptions dip down from 70% to 50%, according to Bloomberg. The company is also considering introducing multiple pay tiers with different criteria required to qualify for each. All told, these changes are intended to boost Twitch’s profitability, though it could come at the expense of their community’s most active users.

Twitch did not immediately respond to Gizmodo’s request for comment.

On the flip side, the sources speaking with Bloomberg said the company may consider easing up on its exclusivity restrictions which would let creators stream on other platforms and potentially raking in some additional income there as well.

Twitch Reportedly Considering Cutting Streamer Pay to Boost Its Own Profits

:francis:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The ads on twitch are out of control.

Ad 1 of 10 :scust:

I vividly remember when Amazon bought them and it was if you're a prime member you get NO ads.

That lasted about 2 months.

Yeah the ads are what keep me off it, it’s like tv commercial length stuff

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Can’t even watch twitch anymore. I jumped on to Capcom Cup grand finals and at the most crucial moment Twitch ad break.

I’ll never watch a twitch stream if it’s simultaneously broadcasted on YouTube.