bnew

Veteran
Daps

Trump Says Biden Wasn't 'Too Old' To Be President​

Today at null38 minutes ago

Trump Says Biden Wasn't 'Too Old' To Be President

By Anezka Pichrtova

News Reporter

Donald Trump addressed Joe Biden's age, but not as a criticism of his former rival, instead saying the 81-year-old president is "not old."

During his 90-minute speech at a rally in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, on Wednesday Trump referenced a February report looking into Biden's handling of classified information in which special counsel Robert Hur wrote that the president presented as a "sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory."

"The special counsel, which is basically a special prosecutor, judged him to be essentially mentally incompetent with poor memory but a nice old guy," Trump stated. "He's not old. You know, 81 is not old. I have friends that are 95 that are...Bernie Marcus, founder of Home Depot, 95 years old, still sharp. I spoke to him the other day. I said, 'I think you're smarter now than you were 30 years ago.' I said what's going on?"

Trump then pivoted, asserting that Biden is "different" and labeling him a "bad 81-year-old" who is "destroying our country."

Trump and Biden

President Joe Biden, right, and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump participate in the CNN Presidential Debate on June 27, 2024, in Atlanta. Trump has recently said that Biden was 'not too old' to be president.Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

Attacks against Biden throughout his presidential candidacy focused heavily on his age and perceived cognitive state. Trump, who is three years younger than the president at 78, has in the past suggested he believes age isn't the key indicator of abilities for a potential president, saying as recently as May that Biden was "not even close" to being too old.

Amid mounting pressure following his highly criticized debate performance, Biden dropped out of the presidential race on July 21, endorsing Vice President Kamala Harris, who has become the de facto Democratic nominee.

Criticism of Harris dominated much of Trump's rally, as he claimed she is "even worse" than Biden.

"She's actually worse than he is because she is real radical left, he is a faulty radical left. He didn't believe those things. He didn't believe in open borders and she does." It comes a day after Harris released a campaign video focused on immigration.

According to recent polls, since Biden stepped down from the presidential race, concerns about Trump's own mental acuity have surfaced among voters.

Harris, who is 59, was not immune to Trump's jibes about age either.

"I mean she is 60 years old. I didn't realize she was 60. I thought she was a little younger. But she is 60. She is talking a big game but her game is pretty bad," Trump said during a recent interview with Laura Ingraham.

Newsweek previously reported that the Wednesday rally in Pennsylvania ended with the once-enthusiastic crowd thinning out as Trump frequently appeared to deviate from his script, talking about Hannibal Lecter and slamming the Biden-Harris administration.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Republicans Want Someone Younger Than Donald Trump as President: New Poll​

Today at null

Kamala Harris' Potential VP Rips Trump As 'Scared Old Man'

By Joe Edwards

Live News Reporter

In a fresh polling blow for Donald Trump, a majority of Republican voters have said they would prefer a president who is younger than the 78-year-old former commander-in-chief.

In a YouGov poll conducted between July 25-29, 59 percent of Republicans surveyed said they would prefer a president under the age of 75. Trump celebrated his 78th birthday in June. Forty percent said they had no preference, and just two percent said they would prefer a president over the age of 75.

Newsweek has contacted the Trump campaign for comment via email outside of standard working hours.

Trump in NC

Republican Presidential nominee former President Donald Trump speaks to attendees during his campaign rally at the Bojangles Coliseum on July 24, 2024, in Charlotte, North Carolina. A majority of Republican voters have said they would...

Brandon Bell/Getty Images

Democratic voters were particularly keen on a younger candidate, with 73 percent indicating they would prefer a president 64-years-old or below. Twenty-four percent had no preference.

YouGov said the poll was conducted online among 2,266 U.S. adult citizens, and the margin of error was approximately three percent.

A separate poll conducted by Reuters and Ipsos last week found that 53 percent of U.S. adults nationwide (from a sample size of 1,241) agreed with the statement that Trump is too old to work in government, while 43 percent disagreed.

This latest poll could suggest the tables are turning on Trump, who regularly attacked his former rival, President Joe Biden, over his age. Biden is 81.

Trump seemed to row back on this sentiment at recent remarks at a rally in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

"81 is not old," Trump said, and now Biden has withdrawn from the race, Trump is faced with a substantially younger competitor in Vice President Kamala Harris, who will turn 60 just weeks before Election Day.

Biden announced he would be dropping out of the race for the White House following weeks of pressure mounting from both within and outside the Democratic Party in the wake of a disastrous presidential debate performance.

In an address from the Oval Office in the days following his announcement, Biden partly framed his decision to step aside as passing "the torch to a new generation."

Trump announced 39-year-old Ohio Senator JD Vance as his running mate last month, but Harris has yet to formalize her pick for vice president.

Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, Arizona Senator Mark Kelly, and Minnesota Governor Tim Walz have emerged as some of the most likely candidates to join Harris on the Democratic ticket in November.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
We will literally be watching a sludge dam collapsing every day for the next 98 days. shyt will be constantly flowing and spewing everywhere