Triple H named Head of Talent Relations and Creative in WWE. 2023 WON Booker of the Year.

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La

miss-jj-alexander-well-damn.gif

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile

The disconnect between "telling a story" and doing high spots is so fukking bizarre to me. I'm sure if you asked Taker who is the "greatest in ring performer of all time" he'd name Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels immediately. And both those guys did a ton of high spots and bumping for their time, and were called out for it by older wrestlers and more "conservative" (for lack of a better word) fans.

Even a flippy match with 15 minutes of nothing but high spots has the story of "two people/teams trying to prove who is the more athletic". Now, you can absolutely hate that story and how they execute it, but you can't say it didn't have any story because it would be false.

I've seen a lot arguments lately about this, like someone telling a story requires the wrestlers to do the absolute minimum and that's just completely false :heh: and I'm a guy that LOVES minimalistic stuff in my wrestling with people doing the most basic shyt and getting the biggest pop possible, but it's just nonesense that there's just 1 correct way of "telling a story".

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
The disconnect between "telling a story" and doing high spots is so fukking bizarre to me. I'm sure if you asked Taker who is the "greatest in ring performer of all time" he'd name Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels immediately. And both those guys did a ton of high spots and bumping for their time, and were called out for it by older wrestlers and more "conservative" (for lack of a better word) fans.

Even a flippy match with 15 minutes of nothing but high spots has the story of "two people/teams trying to prove who is the more athletic". Now, you can absolutely hate that story and how they execute it, but you can't say it didn't have any story because it would be false.

I've seen a lot arguments lately about this, like someone telling a story requires the wrestlers to do the absolute minimum and that's just completely false :heh: and I'm a guy that LOVES minimalistic stuff in my wrestling with people doing the most basic shyt and getting the biggest pop possible, but it's just nonesense that there's just 1 correct way of "telling a story".
I'm not sure if thats the actual issue though. For instance whenever Ospreay and Ricochet were in the G1/Super Juniors together people would always anticipate that match because it was the only one like that that could tell that type of story.

But now if we got three matches on the same show telling that story then it dilutes the hell out of the book.

Similar but Not exactly the same, It's like Ospreay building a big portion of this feud with MJF around not using the Tiger Driver to win...........Then some dumbass did it on TV in one of their matches. I don't even remember who it was because it's not even worth remembering unlike when Ospreay will/would've finally did it again.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I'm not sure if thats the actual issue though. For instance whenever Ospreay and Ricochet were in the G1/Super Juniors together people would always anticipate that match because it was the only one like that that could tell that type of story.

But now if we got three matches on the same show telling that story then it dilutes the hell out of the book.

Similar but Not exactly the same, It's like Ospreay building a big portion of this feud with MJF around not using the Tiger Driver to win...........Then some dumbass did it on TV in one of their matches. I don't even remember who it was because it's not even worth remembering unlike when Ospreay will/would've finally did it again.
I don't disagree with any of that. I think it's different to what what Taker said though and I was using that as an example of the discourse I've seen online the past week.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Rey is one of the most popular babyfaces of the last 30 years and for most of his career, he didn't have a lot of story. He had the Eddie feud and the Punk feud but there's been years where he goes without anything.. and he has always stayed over... through his in-ring charisma and all the different masks and looks he comes up with..

"Flippy moves" aren't the issue. Ricochet was always over in WWE also. He didn't get many stories. Again, flippy moves weren't an issue.

If you have a bunch of guys doing it? That's an issue because then nobody stands out.

But that can also be said about any style of wrestling. If everyone was a Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle clone, their feud based on grappling and submission based offense wouldn't hit as hard..

You have to have a roster that has a variety of styles to keep things fresh.