Triple H named Head of Talent Relations and Creative in WWE. 2023 WON Booker of the Year.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Not just regarding Jacob but not sure how many are actually using their real names. Randy come to mind. Cena was another. Some have a different last name like Cody and KO. I believe Cody had an issue with using Rhodes outside of WWE but that was fixed. KO was using Stern, his real last name. I can see why they would trademark Kevin Owens and other examples, cuz of the merch. Cuz I doubt in the future they gonna start using recycled wrestler names.

Imagine them hyping up a new wrestler coming soon and all of a sudden he appears and they be like my name is the undertaker. :russ:

Fans be like :dahell:
Steen, not Stern

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Wasn’t Fatu using the nickname before the E? He shoulda snatched up the trademark during the time he was on the indies.

Thinking about this and you do have a valid point. What I will say is that it doesn't seem like these contracts the wrestlers have give them any leeway as far as going beyond them goes, especially in WWE. Like I doubt that even given the fact they may own the rights to their name our nickname, that they can just go out & make money on merch without the WWE approval or even them getting a cut of the proceeds. Granted the wrestler is the one who was given the name by birth and is doing all the work. But because the WWE owns them thru contract, they likely want control over things like that.

I know even in the nfl they had an issue cuz I believe it was Marvin Harrison Jr that was refusing to sign his NFLPA deal where they would be able to use his name and likeness to sell merch and games like Madden. Not sure if he has signed since then. But these companies and leagues do this so they can profit off of the athletes.

Of course the wrestlers likely get a cut of the sales from places like wwe shop but it depends on the contract they have. I'm sure not everyone is getting the same amount percentage. Also gotta consider the discrepancies between superstars far as merch goes. Someone like Cody could have 10 shirts and Priest could have like 3 so obviously one has a higher chance of making more money than the other.

It's a tricky subject cuz without the company you likely not making as much money off merch, but you still want to own the rights to your name if the opportunity to make money in outside ventures presents itself.