Triple H named Head of Talent Relations and Creative in WWE. 2023 WON Booker of the Year.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
That’s because they haven’t been consistent with there week to week television
But it's a wrestling show. They're gonna have more wrestling than one that isn't based on it solely. Quality is subjective. I'd say week to week the TV is better than it was in the fall when they were admittedly trying more sports entertainment like angles.

There's never been a competing company that successfully booked WWE style. They can only do it their way.

Everyone else has been successful or not booking a pro wrestling show.

Wrestling has stories. But WWE presents that as the for front of its product. It's fan base ebs and flows based on the quality of it. Hulk vs Macho/Austin vs. McMahon/Bloodline. Different styles but the workrate was secondary. Even with the NWO angle WCW made sure to present itself as a sport and focused on what was happening in ring.

AEW will never be able to become successful just off being a story based promotion because they're a pro wrestling company and their fans aren't conditioned to consume the product that way.

If they try to book like WWE they'll just come off as a knockoff like TNA and WCW did at the end.

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
This is always so stupid.

What show is pulling greater numbers and more money? Looks like it doesn't matter to the majority of people when it's used as an argument for "real wrestling fans watch x".

Ratings and stuff aside, I hate it because it oversimplifies pro wrestling and strips it of everything meaningful

Like forget character arcs, promos. rivalries, theatrics, entrances and every other nuance that goes into making an enjoyable wrestling program… Let’s just focus on the length of the matches which is the most bare minimum shyt ever…

I keep comparing it to film because it’s really the same thing. If the action sequences carry a film, it’s not a good film. Sure it may have a niche lil group of fans that like it, but if the characters are dull, the story is shyt but the action is a’plenty… you have every bum ass Michael Bay film ever made

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
People who say "20 minute bangers don't sell" are also wrong... WWE isn't anything like The Attitude Era or Russo era WCW because that wouldn't work...

They have a balance of story driven content and "bangers"...

... and the reason why AEW PPVs still do well is because of "bangers"....

Fans ain't going back to the days of every match being 3 minutes or less...

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
People who say "20 minute bangers don't sell" are also wrong... WWE isn't anything like The Attitude Era or Russo era WCW because that wouldn't work...

They have a balance of story driven content and "bangers"...

... and the reason why AEW PPVs still do well is because of "bangers"....

Fans ain't going back to the days of every match being 3 minutes or less...
It works best when they enhance eachother. It doesn’t even have to be equal to be honest.

When the Bloodline/Sami feud was taking up the entire first hour of RAW with Tribal Court, all it did was make us want Sami vs Roman even more which is the goal. It sold the fight..

And that’s perfectly fine to me… same way Dynamite opening with an hour long draw between Denison and Omega is great.

There really is no right way or wrong way to do it. Good tv is good tv

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
It works best when they enhance eachother. It doesn’t even have to be equal to be honest.

When Bloodline/Sami feud was taking up the entire first hour of RAW, all it did was make us want Sami vs Roman even more which is the goal. It sold the fight..

And that’s perfectly fine to me… same way Dynamite opening with an hour long draw between Denison and Omega is great.

My point is everyone knew Roman and Sami Zayn for example was going to be a "banger" as well...

Fans are conditioned to see good wrestling now.

If the match was two jabronies who can't wrestle, it don't hit.... we don't see that as much now in men's wrestling because almost everyone CAN wrestle pretty well..

But with the women? Yes, we do see that... poor Maxxine was receiving a lot of harsh chants at house shows from the WWE marks :mjlol:

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps

When Bloodline/Sami feud was taking up the entire first hour of RAW, all it did was make us want Sami vs Roman even more which is the goal. It sold the fight..

Problem is AEW's booking defaults too much towards having the same 10+ minute "banger" style TV match no matter the participants involved, and the extra 3-7 minutes that some TV matches get take up what could've been used on backstage vignettes or promos. Plus those matches require everybody getting their signature shyt in no matter what, so the main eventers don't really come off as being a level above.

like last week on Dynamite the match with Swerve and Luchasaurus went 12 minutes, if you make that an 8 minute match with Swerve in the ring after cutting a promo talking about the gauntlet match later in the main event and maybe dropping a few names to gauge interest from the crowd, it accomplishes more

same with the Moxley-Rocky Romero match that went 10:37 mins when it should've gone 5 minutes tops tbh and after Moxley cuts a promo or gets confronted by somebody to set up the PPV match.

I got no issues with Dynamite having 1 match a show that goes 15-20 minutes with good in-ring guys, there's just too many matches a show these days where people in the thread are going "Why is this still happening?" and they also exist in a vacuum where the match ends and we don't see or hear from the participants again on the show.

Hopefully getting ppl back like MJF will tighten up the TV more

Last edited:

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps
What virgin is keeping track of this

This is why wrestling fans ruin wrestling lol it’s another case where I’m like who gives a fukk

I watch wrestling for the wrestling so yes I prefer more wrestling on the wrestling shows I watch.

Don’t care if that sells tickets or draws viewers. I’m a fan tuning in to see what I want to see.

there's your answer :mjlol:

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
My point is everyone knew Roman and Sami Zayn for example was going to be a "banger" as well...

Fans are conditioned to see good wrestling now.

If the match was two jabronies who can't wrestle, it don't hit.... we don't see that as much now in men's wrestling because almost everyone CAN wrestle pretty well..

But with the women? Yes, we do see that... poor Maxxine was receiving a lot of harsh chants at house shows from the WWE marks :mjlol:

We on the same page for the most part.. I will say tho, for me.. I think the overlying story should always be the bottom line. I know a lot of people here might disagree with that take tho

:yeshrug:

For instance, Ricochet and Bron had a decent lil match last night on RAW where Ricochet was really selling the ribs, got some nice spots in but for the most part got mopped up by Bron…. Now I KNOW for a fact them 2 dudes could really go in there and give us the match of the night on any card. Them nikkas could tear the roof off with the right setting.. but as a fan, I don’t think that moment called for it. The lil match they did have was done to establish Bron as a real wrecking ball on the main roster and it did exactly that. For me, that type of booking is more effective than having them go in there and have a long competitive match

Bron going 50/50 in a competitive match with Ricochet would do absolutely nothing when you’re trying to establish Bron as the next incarnation of Brock Lesnar, but it seems there’s a segment of wrestling fans that don’t get that. They just want the best match possible, all the time no matter the circumstance.. which is fine, but that’s not an effective way to book imo

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
We on the same page for the most part.. I will say tho, for me.. I think the overlying story should always be the bottom line. I know a lot of people here might disagree with that take tho

:yeshrug:

For instance, Ricochet and Bron had a decent lil match last night on RAW where Ricochet was really selling the ribs, got some nice spots in but for the most part got mopped up by Bron…. Now I KNOW for a fact them 2 dudes could really go in there and give us the match of the night on any card. Them nikkas could tear the roof off with the right setting.. but as a fan, I don’t think that moment called for it. The lil match they did have was done to establish Bron as a real wrecking ball on the main roster and it did exactly that. For me, that type of booking is more effective than having them go in there and have a long competitive match

Bron going 50/50 in a competitive match with Ricochet would do absolutely nothing when you’re trying to establish Bron as the next incarnation of Brock Lesnar, but it seems there’s a segment of wrestling fans that don’t get that. They just want the best match possible, all the time no matter the circumstance.. which is fine, but that’s not an effective way to book imo

That's because it was a TV match.... TV matches for the most part should be used as a way to further story beats. If Bron vs. Ricochet happened on PPV and was a 5 minute squash muthafukkas would be jumping out the window shytting on Hunter's booking :mjlol:

There's a time and a place. For someone to say "bangers don't sell..." is not true. They are expected especially on PPV