Triple H named Head of Talent Relations and Creative in WWE. 2023 WON Booker of the Year.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
how about neither and you let talent cut more promos and get them to show their personalities, the top stars during the biggest period in WWF could all entertain you on the mic (minus Kane but he had Paul Bearer for that)
Exactly, The funny thing about HHH's NXT was that it was a direct shot at his own "Me & my friend Mark" promo. I think HHH is smart enough to realize that he can't go full black & gold on RAW & SD, because that'll bring in the JDfromNy crowd but push away the casuals who help fill up the arenas. Smackdown 2003 is the blueprint for what wrestling should be, and that's good/great in ring action and good/great storylines.
I really don't think the "too much/too little wrestling" argument matters. You are never getting casual fans back to wrestling. They are gone. If people want to see entertaining characters, dramatic storylines, great comedy, etc. then there's a million better shows out there or theres ppl on IG/Tik Tok doing 12 second videos that are funnier than anything a room full of writers sitting around a table could come up with.

Now, all that stuff is important in wrestling, you want larger than life characters, compelling stories, etc. But ultimately in 2022 anyone who is committing or considering committing 5-7 hours a week to watching wrestling is doing so because they genuinely enjoy wrestling, whether they want to admit it or not.
It does matter because not everyone watching wants to see 4 20min "bangers" every single week. Casuals are always around and they're always there for the big shows.

Thebadguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
7xTk.gif

Meanwhile Andrade married Charles and will inherit Ric’s debt :mjcry:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I think it’s not promos or Wrasslin, but the personalities. Characters are pretty much dead, so I feel personalities should be the word used nowadays.

What got me into Wrasslin was the spectacle of a wrestler, then the ringwork. Bret Hart and Taker were the first two that caught my eye. Bret’s appearance stood out and Taker was Taker.

Then I’d say the storylines kept me engaged.

taker597

Superstar
Daps

Triple H love for film and cinema has always been consistent throughout his whole career.

I remember how he used to talk about him watching movies and getting ideas from that.

I think of all people, Triple H understand that standards for Television is simply way higher now. It's the HBO effect.

So, you can't just be producing a product that's the standard of 20 years ago. fukking turn yourself into the CW. Which is what Vince wanted with all his hokey shyt. You have to demand a better produce product.

It has to be modern.

WWE might have start really investing in teaching how to act/improv and having a greater emphasis on finding talent with that level of charisma and attention to detail.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Triple H love for film and cinema has always been consistent throughout his whole career.

I remember how he used to talk about him watching movies and getting ideas from that.

I think of all people, Triple H understand that standards for Television is simply way higher now. It's the HBO effect.

So, you can't just be producing a product that's the standard of 20 years ago. fukking turn yourself into the CW. Which is what Vince wanted with all his hokey shyt. You have to demand a better produce product.

It has to be modern.

WWE might have start really investing in teaching how to act/improv and having a greater emphasis on finding talent with that level of charisma and attention to detail.
That’s been one of their biggest problems - not having writers that are actually in tune with the present day. They’ve written directly for Vince and people who were children during Kennedy’s presidency. They have to realize that on top of the usual Marvel/DC stuff, today’s adolescents are watching The Boys, Euphoria, Riverdale, etc, not The Beverley Hillbillies, Tom Sawyer, and Leave It To Beaver.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
That’s been one of their biggest problems - not having writers that are actually in tune with the present day. They’ve written directly for Vince and people who were children during Kennedy’s presidency. They have to realize that on top of the usual Marvel/DC stuff, today’s adolescents are watching The Boys, Euphoria, Riverdale, etc, not The Beverley Hillbillies, Tom Sawyer, and Leave It To Beaver.
That's why someone like Carmelo Haynes should have the US title by now.

Organic Trees

Go Cavs! #LetEmKnow
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland born & raised
I think it’s not promos or Wrasslin, but the personalities. Characters are pretty much dead, so I feel personalities should be the word used nowadays.

What got me into Wrasslin was the spectacle of a wrestler, then the ringwork. Bret Hart and Taker were the first two that caught my eye. Bret’s appearance stood out and Taker was Taker.

Then I’d say the storylines kept me engaged.
I know this is random but when I was a kid I used to be terrified of Kane. He didn't talk much when he first debuted but he had character alongside Paul bearer. Wrestling as a whole needs those larger than life personalities and gimmicks back.

taker597

Superstar
Daps
I know this is random but when I was a kid I used to be terrified of Kane. He didn't talk much when he first debuted but he had character alongside Paul bearer. Wrestling as a whole needs those larger than life personalities and gimmicks back.
But that worked because you only had a 2 hour a week program and you could use him as needed.

Now, they have 7 hours a week programming with no off-season. It's just too much.

The 2 hour format was so dense with content and sense of urgency on top a really good attention to detail. They just don't have that anymore.

WWE a lot of time gets caught rehashing or reinventing the wheel. They completely lost what made Undertaker and Kane work... It's being patient and subtle.

Whereas for example, Bray Wyatt constantly was overindulgent with long promo to fill out these ridiculous 3 hour shows and simply doing too much with no overarching plot or theme.

He disappear, he do spooky shyt, he starts a feud, ramble some nonsense, lose feud, and repeat.

Buggsy Mogues

My spot is solidified if you ask me
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
City of Angels :blessed:
Too much or too little wrestling does matter. Sure there are probably no "casual" fans based on your definition for what a casual fan is, but plenty of people watch wrestling for different reasons and not having a healthy mix of everything can be a turnoff.

Some people watch for characters/gimmicks
Some people watch for promos
Some people watch for storylines
Some people watch strictly for wrestling
Some people eyes are glued based on some of the comedy segments
Some people eyes are glued based on some of the serious segments
Some people watch for everything
etc

I am one of those people that mainly watch for the characters, promos, and storylines. The wrestling added to it is just the perfect mixture and is why I am a fan. I stopped watching WWE/AEW consistently for the past 2 months because storylines were shytty to me and not really good. I can't watch a wrestling match without the character being part of a good storyline that is going to further progress their development.

Especially nowadays where I feel like I have seen all the characters moves and their not doing anything special in their matches to surprise me. That is when the story element to a match plays a huge factor. That is why some of these wrestlers should slow tf down and stop giving us everything at once. It leaves no room for surprises. :francis:

I definitely agree you need a healthy mix.

But people who say they watch because of the storylines? Or the characters? You watch because you like wrestling. Ideally you like it when the wrestling has the combo with entertaining characters and stories. But the reality is that if your sole focus was good storylines and entertaining characters, then you wouldn't be watching wrestling. Because the level of comedy/writing/entertainment value is so far below the level of other TV shows or anything you can find on IG/Tik Tok/Twitter.

Take some shyt like the Ezekial storyline. If that was on any other TV show you would never give a second of your time to it. Ppl entertain it on WWE because they like wrestling anyway so they're already there, and I agree that you want SOME kind of story or reason for 2 ppl to be wrestling each other. But at the end of the day the reason you are watching is because of the wrestling.

Buggsy Mogues

My spot is solidified if you ask me
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
City of Angels :blessed:
It does matter because not everyone watching wants to see 4 20min "bangers" every single week. Casuals are always around and they're always there for the big shows.

The only people still watching wrestling in 2022 are watching it because they like wrestling or because they have been doing it so long that it's just a habit to watch every Monday or Wednesday night.

Yeah if Wrestlemania or Summerslam is in your town and you don't normally watch 7 hours of wrestling every week you might go, but casual fans are not coming back permanently. The TV audience has been shrinking for over 20 years now.

Buzzed Lightyear

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Too much or too little wrestling does matter. Sure there are probably no "casual" fans based on your definition for what a casual fan is, but plenty of people watch wrestling for different reasons and not having a healthy mix of everything can be a turnoff.

Some people watch for characters/gimmicks
Some people watch for promos
Some people watch for storylines
Some people watch strictly for wrestling
Some people eyes are glued based on some of the comedy segments
Some people eyes are glued based on some of the serious segments
Some people watch for everything
etc

I am one of those people that mainly watch for the characters, promos, and storylines. The wrestling added to it is just the perfect mixture and is why I am a fan. I stopped watching WWE/AEW consistently for the past 2 months because storylines were shytty to me and not really good. I can't watch a wrestling match without the character being part of a good storyline that is going to further progress their development.

Especially nowadays where I feel like I have seen all the characters moves and their not doing anything special in their matches to surprise me. That is when the story element to a match plays a huge factor. That is why some of these wrestlers should slow tf down and stop giving us everything at once. It leaves no room for surprises. :francis:
And some people watch to complain. Can't forget them.